Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy low/poor weight gain

Well, this time I am going to have to heed the advice of my LO ped and start supplementing. He has been gaining slowly all along and she has been okay with us working on increasing my supply until today (birth weight 8 lb 3oz, weight at 9.5 weeks 9 lb 11 oz.) I have tried herbal supplements and metoclopramide. I am going to add in pumping more when I can (very hard when he is always nursing). Any other advice? How does domperidone compare in helping supply compared to metoclopramide?

ARGH

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
shastakat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: low/poor weight gain

Seems like there are a few of us that are having the same issues! I wish I could help you out!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
colliegirl
Registered Users

I don't have any solutions for you, but I can share our story and hopefully show the light at the end of the tunnel. My son was born at 7.10. He gained well until 3 months when he weighed 10.11. Then he bottomed out and didn't gain anything (maybe an oz) the next month. At 4.5 months he was 12 lbs. And we were told to start supplementing formula or undergo a battery of tests. My son was happy, active, meeting all milestones and continued to grow in length. I tried to increase his nursing (he was already nursing every 3 hours), did some pumping, some breast compressions and altered my diet to include things that may increase milk supply. I don't think I actually had a supply problem though. With the changes he started to gain 1lb a month (dr wanted 2lbs a month- but compromised with us). We started solids at 5.5 months and my son's weight has really taken off. He still nurses every 3-4 hours, and I plan to nurse him past 12 months. He is now almost 7 mos and just shy of 15lbs. I was only 18lbs at 1 year, my sibs were also skinny babies. I think my family just makes skinny kids. We never actually supplemented. He wouldn't take a bottle and hated formula- we only tried once and decided to try a more conservative, but highly vigalent (Sp?) approach- he is weighed daily. Good luck to you with whatever you try with your LO.
colliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you're going through this! Have you had your baby's latch evaluated by a lactation consultant? Sometimes a better latch can increase the baby's efficiency at getting milk from the breast. Often it seems doctors are quick to blame a mom's milk supply when that may not be the problem!

If you have to supplement, can you use a lactation aid instead of a bottle so that he doesn't become accustomed to a bottle nipple and so that your breast continues to receive the stimulation that makes it produce more milk?

Here are some links that may be helpful:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/05lactation_aid.html

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I have been working with a LC for about a month. First, my ped recommended clipping tongue tie...that made no difference. The LC says his latch is fine, she has been wonderful to work with. We have an ongoing battle with his top lip flipping in instead of flanging, but I correct that every time. The LC also originally thought it was a supply issue/letdown issue for me. I am going to contact her again and see if she has anymore advice. Both the ped and LC have recommended the breastflow bottles and he seems to go back and forth between those and breast ok. Luckily, my ped is very probreastfeeding, she even holds sessions with a LC on the weekends for bfing moms in the area. She has been understanding that I don't want to supplement, but I do agree with her that now is the time. Sorry this gotten so long, this has just been one huge battle it seems.