Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

human paci

I am not sure if this goes here or another forum...
Has anyone had success getting a baby (2 months) that despises pacifiers to take one? I have to go back to work in 2 weeks and am really starting to worry about how anyone will be able to soothe him, right now I am his human pacifier (he is at the breast the majority of the day). He hates all pacis we have tried. what have others done in this situation? I am desparate and will try anything, I hate the thought of him not being able to be soothed while I am away.

gonna go finish having a freak out moment, lori

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: human paci

In my experience, if they don't take a pacifier within the first few tries, they aren't going to take one.
My yds took a soothie until 8 months. It was the only way I could put him to bed before he was all the way asleep. He also used it to calm down. Well, now I have to hold him and pat him and try several different things to soothe him and get him to sleep. It is a pain in the rear.

I guess what I'm saying is that your dcprovider will probably need to do a lot of holding.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for responding! I don't think he will ever really like one. I agree with lots of holding in daycare, that is what is scaring me...there will probably be more than one infant and attention can only be pulled in so many directions, ya know?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
Guardandolaluna
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you try this one? My DD briefly took a paci.. but every now and then when she uses me as one I offer her this and she will take it.. but only this kind. Good luck!

Guardandolaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
carriersandcloth
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids never took paci's either...why take that fake nip if you can have the real thing, right? Have you looked into a home daycare? I care for a 2 month old in my home and she does great. I use to work in a day care center and it is really unfair that one woman should be able to take care of 4 newborns at one time; unfair to the woman and babies! I REALLY recommend looking into home daycares. I posted on craigslist, so maybe check there? of course you would need to do your own background check and interview.
carriersandcloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Mama2Noah
Registered Users

My Mood:

I highly recommend a home daycare as well. for your sake, I hope your lo finds a paci.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Hey everyone,
We have looked into home daycares, that is what we prefer. We are in a really bad location when it comes to finding daycare on the way to work. Still no paci that works, I agree why take a paci when he can have the real thing and I can't blame him. I am about to start another thread about this, but apparantly he isn't getting enough of what he needs, no wonder he is eating all the time
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is possible. We were going on vacation when dd#2 was 3 months old. She was so fussy 1/2 the day because she wanted to suck but didn't want any more milk and I have a very active let down so if she was at the breast she was getting milk. We had tried 5 binkies when she was under a month old and she refused them all. I felt so bad for her that I couldn't help her when she just wanted to suck but clearly wasn't hungry and would fight and fight me if I tried to offer the breast. 1 week before vacation I tried all 5 brands of binkies again - no luck. We were at the store and on a whim I bought one last brand (hubby thought I was nuts) and low and behold she took it. And now she loves her binky. Avent 0-3 month (she's 6 months and I'm not brave enough to move up in size yet) is what worked for us. And she instantly was a much happier baby and our plane flight and vacation was wonderful because she had the binky to calm her down.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
mommyof3-77
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sometimes babies have tummy troubles and they like to suck to soothe. That's what my 4 month old does. He's a really content little guy and doesn't fuss about much. When his tummy bugs him, I can tell because he wants to suck. I felt like he was literally latched on 24 hrs a day. Then we started to supplement at the end of the feeding session with a bit of a bottle (and I would pump to help more milk come in). Sometimes if it is tummy troubles, they won't even eat the bottle because they're not really hungry. Do you swaddle him when he's fussy? That might help if it is a tummy ache. Good luck!
mommyof3-77 is offline   Reply With Quote