Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:
frustrating

dd was showing all the signs of having to potty (super fussy, not wanting to eat or calming down with other things) so i took her to the bathroom to potty and held her over the potty and she screamed even more and wouldn't stop so i put a new cd on her and she stopped screaming. what am i doing wrong

Advertisement

jillianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
kthiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: frustrating

DD screams bloody murder right before she pees... so when i am POSITIVE that she has to go, I hold her a bit longer, and after she pees, she's all smiles... so i would say if you KNOW she has to go, wait it out just a bit. If you try it once and it doesn't work, no other ideas, sorry.

kthiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

Was she pottying ok before? What are the chances she is on a potty break?

Assuming you just started, try a potty seat or insert for the toilet so she can sit and look at you while she goes, or try bringing some colorful books/ block/ pictures in with you.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes... Bella would need to go, I just knew she needed to, but couldn't get comfortable or relaxed enough to go. I'd either a.) put her on her tummy, at your LO's age, on a waterproof pad of some sort, usually just a fleece blanket for us, and let her play for a few minutes, usually she'd go (note... baby does NOT have to go in a recepticale for it to be considered a "catch" LOL) .. or b.) hold her cradled in my arms with her bum slighty higher than her head for about 30 seconds, i'd make it fun and play with her and talk to her, then hold in classic position again and she'd usually go. Those positions just relaxed the sphincter(?) muscles a bit in order to release. Hope this helps!! Carrie
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
allielb
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my DD is like that, I just offer a different potty or potty place or position. I have both kinds of BB potties and a toilet insert to offer, or if the weather is nice go outside. I used to be grossed out by letting her go in the tub, but for awhile that was the only place she would go, so I got over it. So people use the sink, but that is WAY too distracting for my LO. And sometimes she just won't go so I put a diaper in, and she pees it that.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
gracefaith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes I lay my kiddo on his back for a minute or two and talk to him. Eventually, he starts making the fussy, gottago body language again and we give it another try.

You didn't mention if you've been successful at EC before this point. Until I had some real catches, my baby didn't know what I was doing to him and mad at me.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:

i only had one catch (pee) prior to this. we are doing it only during the day (most days). she's just 7 weeks old so i'm still learning her cues. i held her over the big potty for like 10 minutes and she wouldn't go so i put her diaper back on and she was fine after that and pooped about 15 minutes later while nursing. i might try the blanket idea
Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

Its pretty common at that age to go while eating. Try a potty bowl or something like that in your lap while you nurse her.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
jillianh
Banned

My Mood:

thank you for the help! i am trying hard to be consistent during the day because i know it can only help in the long run. she also potties most of the time when she is sleeping.