Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what do i do?

i'm in desperate need of help!!! i have an 8 mo that still won't sleep. i have to nurse her to sleep and it normally takes about an hour to get her down but after that she awakes every 2 hours and then it takes another 30 minutes to get her back to sleep. during the day she won't nap unless i'm holding her, she wakes up the second i put her down. what should i do? i'm at my wits end!! i've never heard of an 8 mo not sleeping. i'm soooooo tired, absolutely exhausted!!!

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: what do i do?

I dunno but I'd sure like to know! DS is actually 8 mos on the 10th & we're in the same boat. It's like all the sudden he doesn't sleep... doesn't nap... nothing. I dunon how he has so much energy. Last night he was WIDE awake until after 2 am... and the only reason I got him to sleep was by basically wrestling him to sleep with me & he finally gave up after much fussing & wriggling. And yes, he still wakes to eat like clockwork.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

LOL it must be in the air then! bc joe has been the same way lately! the last 2 nights he went down at around 8ish and it seemed like was he up every 2ish hrs and finally at midnight he was WIDE awake LOL......he's eating ok--just this sleep thing is driving me batty!!! naps are bad also.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I would love to hear the answer to this question. Aaron and Glory (10 1/2 months) are the same way and I would really like some sleep. It has been well over a year since I have had an entire night of sleep.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, Bram has been sleeping through the night since 2 months old... Basically, while he was very small, (ya know, when they practically sleep all the time) I let him sleep in the living room or where I was during the day. He slept in his crib ONLY at night. After a while, he realized that the crib means night time, kwim? So after that, (and when he started having ACTUAL naps and not just on-and-off sleeping) I started putting him in his crib for naps too. On the rare occasion that he woke up in the middle of the night, I just comforted him until he went back to sleep because I didn't want him to get into the habit of waking at night to eat. Now he's 16 months and he hasn't woken to eat since 2ish months old. If you give them the milk, they'll continue to wake up to eat it. Oh, and I don't/didn't nurse him to sleep either because then they depend on it, even when they wake up at night. Its like they start associating nursing with going to sleep and staying asleep. But that's just my experience.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

I certainily dont have all of the answers, but I do have a suggestion. RUN...DONT WALK...RUN (or drive) to Target or Babies r Us and get a fisher price side to side cradle swing. I like the ocean wonders swing. this is the greatest invention. even my reflux babies slept in these. mine took 2 naps er day in them up until 8 mos old. we just needed more space, so I sold them. they still loved them. I dont think it keeps them from sleeping in cribs....mine sleep 12 hours per night.

as for nursing them to sleep....I wouldnt suggest that except for possibly dreamfeeds at night. you want baby to associate nursing with food, not with sleepy time. I would encourage you to get into a very basic and not strict routine. just get 2 or 3 things tht you want to do before bed/nap time and let that be a cue for baby so she knows what comes next. For ex. before bedtime:

watch a baby einstein video (wind down time )
give a bath (this helps babies sleep bigtime!)
put on jammies
nurse
put in swing to rock baby to sleep ( do not remove baby immediately one she goes to sleep. give her some time to get good and asleep)
or--put baby in a halo sleepsack and in crib. (we use a ocean waves sound machine. my babies assoc sleepsack/crib/sound machine with sleep. if I turn it off, they wake up instantly. makes me think of pavlov's dogs I hope some of this helps.

also--are you doing the eat/play/sleep routine at all? what kind of playtime is she having? exersaucer? jumperoo? johnny jump up? stroller ride? outdoor time?

you may also consider making bedtime later.

email if you want. Im not sure I can help, but I will certanily try.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:06 AM   #7
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can try reading Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" it is a good book and I only wish I would have read it when my daughter was a baby. I wound up getting my daughter attached to nursing to sleep as well and we were all night nursers. You can still nurse and co-sleep if you want but you just have to teach baby that they can fall asleep w/out nursing. It is hard. I didn't do it until my daughter was 16 months and she slept worse than your baby - LOL. I wound up night weaning her via Jay Gordon's method because I wasn't aware of Elizabeths book.

Also, 8 months is a hard transition time. Of all the ages 8 months and 13 months were the hardest for us for sleep and it seems to be pretty universal. There are lots of developmental milestones going on or coming up.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions!!! i'm going to try and find The No Cry Sleep Solution book and see if we can figure this out!! last night was awful and i ended up getting only 4 hours of sleep and that was sporatically.