Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
5browns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
rice milk ice cream for babies?

I'm trying to come up with a baby-friendly ice cream recipe for my lil boy's first birthday this summer. There will be an abundance of babies/toddlers around so I was looking for something without cow's milk, artificial sweetners or wierd chemicals. Has anyone tried putting unsweetened rice milk, bananas, and vanilla in the ice cream maker? Would this need cornstarch or arrowroot to thicken it?
If you have any other recipes for classic foods made baby friendly let me know. thanks

Advertisement

Sara If I'm slow to respond, it's possibly because I care for 3 non-napping children while being involved in a preschool co-op, a veggie co-op, a bible study group, and training for a 5k. I am a little busy.
5browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

Re: rice milk ice cream for babies?

Does it have to be "ice cream"? My 2 yr. old doesn't like ice cream because it's "too cold", but he loves his daily smoothies with frozen fruit in them! The base to our smoothies is always a fresh organic banana, usually organic yogurt (milk when we're out of yogurt), fruit juice (orange juice is my son's favorite), then frozen fruit (raspberries, strawberries, and pineapple.. in that order). It makes a thick, cold, yummy treat! My son likes to drink it out of a straw "like a grown up", so it's something extra special with a straw .
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
5browns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: rice milk ice cream for babies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris5135 View Post
Does it have to be "ice cream"? My 2 yr. old doesn't like ice cream because it's "too cold", but he loves his daily smoothies with frozen fruit in them! The base to our smoothies is always a fresh organic banana, usually organic yogurt (milk when we're out of yogurt), fruit juice (orange juice is my son's favorite), then frozen fruit (raspberries, strawberries, and pineapple.. in that order). It makes a thick, cold, yummy treat! My son likes to drink it out of a straw "like a grown up", so it's something extra special with a straw .
That sounds delicious! I wish I had the ingredients to make one for ME right now!!
Sara If I'm slow to respond, it's possibly because I care for 3 non-napping children while being involved in a preschool co-op, a veggie co-op, a bible study group, and training for a 5k. I am a little busy.
5browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
velcromom
Registered Users

Re: rice milk ice cream for babies?

We make a chocolate "ice cream" by blending together banana, avocado, cocoa powder, a little sweetener and a few tablespoons of water. It gets nice and thick, you can eat it chilled as a pudding or frozen as ice cream.

I have also made "fudgesicles" with coconut milk, silken tofu and homemade fudge sauce, lol. Not perfectly healthy but at least no hfcs! Blend it up to a thick milkshake consistency and freeze in popsicle molds, sooo yummy.

Last edited by velcromom; 02-11-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add another idea
velcromom is offline   Reply With Quote