View Poll Results: Do you cover up when NIP?
Yes 80 26.58%
No 174 57.81%
Other (of course) 47 15.61%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
quietdusk
Registered Users

NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I've always thought women shouldn't have a problem NIPing, but I thought they should cover up. Well, I had my first NIP session a few days ago. I was at my old workplace in the breakroom and I threw a blanket over my shoulders and the baby. Even though I was in an airconditioned room, it got hot fast. I was sweating, the baby was sweating, and I had to keep fanning the blanket just to make it a little cooler. I kept thinking that I really need to get a nursing cover with boning to hold the top open so it'd be a little cooler.

Anyway, I was visiting some advocacy websites and came aross this page: http://www.nurseherenow.com/wst_page5.html. Specifically the section entitled "Don"t Disappear" (it's about halfway down). I think what is said about covering up to nurse is very interesting and wondered what other women thought.
DH is totally unsupportive of the idea of NIPing w/o covering up and just talks about how it's offensive to other ppl.

Advertisement

Last edited by quietdusk; 02-16-2008 at 03:33 AM.
quietdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: NIP: To cover or not to cover...that is the poll question

I voted other. To me it depends on where I am. Most of the time, I don't cover up. DS just gets all crabby and I end up flashing everyone anyway. So I make less of a scene if I don't cover up and you can't even see any part of my breast. Now when I'm at church, I do cover up out of respect for the other women and men there. If I'm around our pastor which we are often, I cover up out of respect for him and his wife. So I think it all depends where I'm at and who I'm around.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
Twinklefae
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope, I honestly think that using a blanket just draws attention to yourself. I've nursed everywhere and anywhere and most people come up to talk to me and say "Is he eating? I had no idea!"

I think people who are offended (because it's not like they can see anything) need to worry about themselves and stop staring at me from across a restaurant.
Twinklefae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't say I cover up -I don't use a cover or blanket but I am pretty discreet if that makes sense.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #5
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
tara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I, too, am opposed to covering up. The first couple times I NIP I did but after I became confident there was no way I would. DD is now 21 months and she still NIPs, esp. at restaurants (I guess she gets hungry for her milk course?!) Now, all that said, I wouldn't sit around topless just to give her both "options" I'm on my own little crusade to make others more comfortable with the idea.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never covered up when I NIP but I'm very discreet. You don't see anymore of my boob when my ds nurses than you do in some of my lower cut shirts.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't cover up but I nurse discreetly, I tend to wear nursing shirts so I don't have to lift my shirt up to expose my chubby belly, and so on. I am not embarrassed about nursing, and if we were out I would try to find a seat off the beaten path. Now, at 16 months, nursing in public doesn't really happen since he can have a cup but if we are at relatives and he needs to nurse, I'll do it. Especially near naptime since nursing is how he falls asleep. I only use a blanket near his head or slightly covering if he is tired and it helps him fall asleep (he gets SOOO distracted now). I wouldn't cover him up if it was hot and he was sweating, I would not put my child's safety in front of someone's else feeling "awkward" around me nursing.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #9
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I am totally philosophically opposed to covering up. It's my child eating, for goodness sakes', and she shouldn't have to be forced to eat underneath a blanket because society has sexualized her food supply to the point that it's somehow "wrong" for her to just eat in public.
I couldn't of said it better
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
zosiasmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saongiri View Post
I wouldn't say I cover up -I don't use a cover or blanket but I am pretty discreet if that makes sense.

Want to know about making money with ChaCha? Ask me!
I made $350 last month!Hits4Pay Want some Moola?
zosiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote