Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #11
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:
Re: "Redecorated" vagina after birth?

Okay, reading these posts must be the equivalent of guys hearing stories about vasectomies! Yeee-ooowwwwccchhh!

Seriously, though, I am embarrassed to admit that until after the birth of DS, I had never looked at my vagina, ever. The main reason I did then was because I did have some tearing, two of which were stitched and one which wasn't, and I wanted to see if everything looked okay because it still felt uncomfortable to DTD. When I told one of my girlfriends about it, she laughed so hard and was like, "You're kidding, right? What do you mean, you'd never looked at it before?!" Yep, I'm that uptight.

Advertisement

Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I wasn't able to have a vaginal birth so maybe I shouldn't chime in here LOL But I just wanted to say whether you have a birth or not, all our parts look different. I was really really bummed by the way mine looked (ok weird info here) b/c I thought it was gross/wrong somehow... looking for the right words here & not finding them. Anyway... I watched something on TV about women that felt the same way & there's a book out there w/pics of diff "areas" & though I didn't see the book I finally felt like it didn't matter b/c mine would be different no matter what.

Anyway sorry if this made no sense!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #13
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Rebecca - you're not alone - I never looked at mine until after I had my first child and had stitches.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
MommyCRat
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know what mine looks like anyway..or what one *should* look like for that matter. *shrug* As long as my dh won't mind, then I don't, I guess...
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #15
aschrimp
Registered Users

I've looked before having ds, I looked at the tear before it was stitched - 2nd to 3rd degree, tore in the back and the frond (my midwife helped with the mirror - I wanted to see. **TMI** It was kind of weird, as I could see muscle split open way deep inside, since I was still pretty stretched out from delivery **END TMI**), and I looked after she stitched me up very loosely (just the muscle, at my request, as I'd had pain with sex for years and was hoping it would help), and I've looked since.

I can *definately* see (and feel) where I tore. And it is my guess that I will probably tear in the same place next time, as the skin seems tighter and a little bit hard where the scar runs. I don't think it will stretch as well as the surrounding skin. I had an abdominal surgery a few years ago, and my scars, which used to be thick and raised, are now thin and flat. It may be that your "mismatched" labia will line up better as the scars decrease in size, and that my thick scar will also thin out and soften up. I'm hoping so...but I will probably be pg again before that happens with mine.

I can also see a little bulging around the entrance - I think I read that the walls of the vagina will sag a little after a natural childbirth - probably the same phenomen as my saggy stretch-marked stomach, just on the inside - lol. The things we go through for these babies...

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:26 AM   #16
small_wonders_wipes
Registered Users
seller

Some of your comments on here have given me hope for my next child..... my idiot of a doctor got impatient and led me to believe that we NEEDED to do an episiotomy- when I had specifically asked her not to give me one. Since she made me think that my dd would be in danger if I refused- I agreed. Well, before dd even came into the world, the doctor gave me a 4th degree episiotomy! My husband saw it and even overheard a nurse make a comment about how she cringed when she saw the scissors go in one hole and out the other! Of course, the doctor lied to me about it- after my daughter was out, I asked if I had torn, and she said "oh, it looks like a 3rd degree to me....oh, wait, no, it looks like it is a 4th degree". She then gave me a couple minutes to hold my dd and then said that I needed to be stitched up and that I could NOT hold my dd while I was being stitched up. The stitches took almost 45 minutes!!! I was so upset! I can say one good thing about the doctor though, she did a pretty good job stitching me up- but she should have since it was her fault!!!
I have been concerned about whether or not I would be more prone to tearing with my next child, so all these comments have given me some hope!!

Thanks everybody!

Oh, and I wouldn't be worried about how you look down there- as long as it doesn't bother you or your husband, who else is going to see it??
small_wonders_wipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #17
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely common
With #1 after 45 min of pushing I ended w/ a 4th degree tear....had two tears that went through my urethra I had to have stitches, no choice about it...and though it defnitely doesn't look the same prebirth, it's in no ways problamatic and totally worth it for my kiddo

With #2 No stitches at all and I pushed him out in 2 pushes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #18
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first I had an episiotomy that tore down (3rd degree) into my sphincter muscle. Not fun. I had lots of stitches. Even if you'd had stitches, you'd still look different. I now have a nice hunk of scar tissue in that area. It took a long time to heal (over 2mo) and even longer for it to be comfortable or enjoyable to DTD! It still gets uncomfortable in that area during amenhorrea. Unless you have all your kids by c-section, birth will change that area forever! (ok, there are some lucky ones who have no tearing at all and eventually the stretching shrinks back, but it still takes years.. and lots of kegels!)
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to say I feel for you guys! I never tore very bad (maybe 2 or 3 stitches) but it still hurt a lot. My BF had TONS of stiches w/ her DS#1 and none at all w/ DS#2 who was over 1lb bigger than her 1st... It was just a matter of meds, pushing style and the dr. Her 1st dr was very pro drugs, pro inductions, pro episiotomy... Kinda sad!! I wouldn't wish this stuff on my worst enemy! Just a and some support!!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #20
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschrimp

I can *definately* see (and feel) where I tore. And it is my guess that I will probably tear in the same place next time, as the skin seems tighter and a little bit hard where the scar runs. I don't think it will stretch as well as the surrounding skin. <snip> I'm hoping so...but I will probably be pg again before that happens with mine.
Scar tissue naturally contracts, so that's why it feels tight and hard. You can fix that though, which might lessen the chances of tearing in the same spot in the future. Just pinch the scar tissue between your index finger and thumb, pressing moderately hard, and massage the tissue. That will help break down some of the contractors in the scar tissue and make it more "loose" feeling. You'll want to put something like olive oil (or KY) on your fingers first so you don't damage the tissue.

I had a very small epi (only 3 stitches) with DS, and the scar made DTD very uncomfortable for a while till I started massaging it and it loosened up some and isn't nearly as sensitive now. **TMI**, but, I was VERY tight before having DS, and now that things are a bit more ...eh...streached out...down there...it's MUCH more enjoyable for me! Yay childbirth!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote