Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:19 AM   #41
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

Re: Im in shock (death post-a lil on topic)

Steve Irwin was an awesome presence in this world: a great husband and father, and a great educator. He made it possible for people to find love in their hearts for previously despised animals, and he was passionate about animal welfare and conservation. If you disagreed with his methods, you're entitled to feel that, but save it for another thread.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #42
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
i feel really sad for steve and his family, my heart is just breaking over this tragedy

to the pp, what the other mama is saying is that he is an educater first~~ NOT an entertainer risking his life for nothing, just as the military risks their lives doing there job as well..
steve irwin is an awesome man and person and i don't think his love for his job should be made out to be a" well thats what he gets' sort of thing, he was a great person and GREAT educater to those that actually watched and followed his lessons
I must have misunderstood her. It seemed to me when I read it that she was disagreeing and putting them in the same catagory in response to my post. I feel he was an educator but also an entertainer. That's what TV is all about. I'm not sure if your comment was directed toward me but just wanted to clarify I never took the "that's what he gets" stand. Not one bit. I am very sad for his family. I'm in shock that with all the danger surrounding him on many missions, he ended up passing in such a freak accident.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #43
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey
It was his son that he was holding. Not that I agree with what he did either, but he didn't hold the baby out for the croc or anything... he fed a chicken to the crocodile while holding the baby.

I think most people think of it that way because the media was equating it to Michael Jackson holding his baby over the balcony.

And no offense to you zoocrew, but your son doesn't understand how docile sting rays are. You can poke them, pet them, swim with them, etc. There have been 17 recorded sting ray deaths IN THE HISTORY OF FOREVER. And to the mama who said he was playing russian roulette with his life and lost, even if you want to look at his interaction with deadly/dangerous animals as russian roulette, he wouldn't have been playing when he died.

but alas, this will be the last time i post on a thread about this poor guy! i'm having croc hunter overload.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #44
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's very sad that he passed on and his family is in my thoughts. He died doing what he loved to do and I'm sure his family is sadden but, understands and will celebrate his life and what he has done for the animal kingdom.
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #45
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momovthree
Being deployed is completely different IMO.

This guy's job was as an entertainer, I wouldn't put the military in a catagory with entertainers.

I am a HUGE animal lover myself. and I love to learn about animals. I have Learned TON buy wtching his shows.

I feel he was alot more than an entertainer. He was a conservationist, eductator, and he has a pure love for theanimal he workedwith, AND his family.

ETA. Getting killed by a stng ray is a FREAK accident. I know when he was taping a show aobut the killers of the sea, he didnt feel a stingray was one of them.
Had he been killed by a crock, maybe that would have been less of a freak accident. BUT no less of a tragedy....

Last edited by nothing_butt_cloth; 09-05-2006 at 08:27 PM.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #46
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth
I am a HUGE animal lover myself. and I love to learn about animals. I have Learned TON buy wtching his shows.

I feel he was alot more than an entertainer. He was a conservationist, eductator, and he has a pure love for theanimal he workedwith, AND his family.

ETA. Getting killed by a stng ray is a FREAK accident. I know when he was taping a show aobut the killers of the sea, he didnt feel a stingray was one of them.
Had he been killed by a crock, maybe that would have been less of a freak accident. BUT no less of a tragedy....
I agree with you 100%. And I'm a huge animal lover myself. Maybe I should have clarified my post. I don't feel his job was all about entertainment, he made a big difference in the animal world. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him when he received so much resistance from people just wanting to "do away with" these animals.

Saying he was an entertainer was in response to the comment about the military. They have a dangerous job in common sure but a job in the military isn't about being on TV and with Steve's job that was a big part of it. I just wasn't understanding how people were putting the two together. Apples and oranges if you ask me.

Last edited by momovthree; 09-06-2006 at 06:33 AM.
momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #47
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

whats even sadder I heard he was actually filming for part of his daughters tv show for kids

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #48
ClarebearNkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

JMHO but no one, irregardless of their profession DESERVES to die.He is gone now, just let the man AND his memory rest in peace. Why must we whisper and gossip about what he did wrong?? Why not celebrate and remember what he did right?! JMHO Flame away..
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #49
turtlemoon74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thought this was a great article on S. Irwin.
Kinda puts things into persective and may give some closure on this topic.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/199/story_19911_1.html

Last edited by turtlemoon74; 09-08-2006 at 08:20 AM.
turtlemoon74 is offline   Reply With Quote