Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:33 AM   #1
xamybethx
B/S/T with Caution!!

Help!

I really want to get into cloth diapering (it's good for baby and they're SO dang cute!). DH thinks it will be too much work, which I know it will be at first but I assume after time it becomes second nature.

I'm lost at where to even begin. I mean prefolds and AIO's, swaddlebees and fuzzibunz I mean...so many choices lol. I have no clue what I'm doing (all I know is AIO's are bascially like sposies right?).

Anyone want to help convert me??? Please

Advertisement

xamybethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help!

You know, I had the same thoughts as you - WAY too much work! But it's really not. The thing that took me some time was figuring out "my" system . . . and once I figured out what worked for us, it really is no more work than sposies (which had to be purchased, unwrapped, disposed of, etc.).

What works for me: I have some prefolds and covers I got for free, which I use as my "economical" diapers. And we have pockets, for my husband and for the nursery workers at my church (which are just like sposies / AIO's). Our favorite brand is Happy Heiny's, which have aplix / velcro instead of snaps. We also use some fitteds with wool in the winter.

Why don't you get 1 or 2 different kinds (as many as you can afford), use them off and on with your sposies, until you decide what you think you like? Then get more of that kind and keep on discovering . . . I think of cloth diapering like decorating my house. It's always sort of evolving, and just because one room's decor is "done," doesn't mean I can't sell off a piece and replace it with something new.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

Welcome Amy!

I really don't think using cloth is THAT much extra work. Even using pockets (the kind you put a separate insert into) and prefolds (the flat rectangles most people think of that have to be folded), it's not much harder than disposables. The laundry does make some extra work, but we keep all our diapers in bins under the changing table so we can just dump them in without having to fold them.

The main types of diapers are (listed from cheapest -> most expensive and less like disposables -> more like disposables, and also least maintenance -> most maintenance) flats, prefolds, fitteds, pockets and AIOs. http://www.diaperpin.com/dictionary.aspHere's a glossary. I would also recommend the FAQs on that site. Another good site is www.diaperpages.com. People ask "what's the best type of diaper" and it depends on how much you want to spend, how much time you have to do laundry, and other personal preferences.

Fuzzi Bunz and Swaddlebees are types of pocket diapers. The diaperpin site I recommended above has product reviews of different types of diapers.

FYI, we use mostly Fuzzi Bunz (pockets) and Kissaluvs (fitteds) with Mother-ease Airflow covers for the Kissaluvs.

And another FYI You usually get more responses if you make your thread title more descriptive, so people know kinda what your question is before they open the thread.

Good luck! This is a great forum.
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
xamybethx
B/S/T with Caution!!

So the cheapest would be the prefolds? They have to have a diaper cover right? Do you need anything else? I assume that it would be nice to have a liner or doubler in there for nighttime just to give extra absorbancy.

That website is REALLY helpful!
xamybethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
kgsd
Registered Users
seller

Yes, cheapest are prefolds and they need a cover. You can close the prefolds with pins or snappis (snappis are available in many places, one is www.nickisdapers.com), or you can fold it in thirds and lay it in the cover.

What a lot of people do when they need extra absorbency is take a smaller-size prefold and put it inside the prefold. Some people use fleece liners inside a prefold because although the fleece doesn't help with absorbency, the liquid passes through the fleece so it's not wet right next to the baby's skin.

For nighttime, we use pockets with two inserts.
kgsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Cloth is easier then sposies IMO You don't have to worry about running out of them or having to get you and your babies ready just to go to the store to buy sposies! Sposies also have a high risk of blowouts up the back and in the hair! So I'm sure you have washed several outfits that you probably wouldn't have to if you were using cloth

I can't think of any store right now, but I know there are lots of trial packages that are around $50.00 that have an AIO, prefold and fitted with a cover so you can try all of them

Personally, I don't like prefolds that much. I use to use them on my ds when we went camping, but I'm not crazy about them anymore. I like AIOs the best and fitteds with covers for night time.

I really like the new Swaddlebees AIOs for easy to get.

Just remember that cloth diapers are al ot like buying jeans some fit better then others and you usualy get what you paid for
Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamybethx
So the cheapest would be the prefolds? They have to have a diaper cover right? Do you need anything else? I assume that it would be nice to have a liner or doubler in there for nighttime just to give extra absorbancy.

That website is REALLY helpful!
Yup, prefolds would be cheapest, and you might even grow to love them! (just ask wearingTaci on this board! LOL!) If you need doublers, there are seconds on clearance right now (try www.cottonbabies.com). They work great and have a stay-dry fleece top. I got some and there's nothing wrong with them, as far as I can tell.

I would suggest getting a couple of different pockets/AIOs for going out, too. You might feel the love for them, too!

Most of my stash is fitteds and pockets. I prefer fitteds and DH prefers pockets. He has his basket in the changing table, and I have mine! LOL! That way there's no confusion there.

As for the work involved, whenever people find out I use cloth, they're always like, "Man, I bet it's cheaper. But it's a lot of work, though!" But, honestly, I really don't even think about it now. And I hate doing laundry! If you have CDs that you really love and love using, it is a "labor of love," I guess! Or maybe I've just lost it!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote