Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Janiceandscott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bad Gas Equals Allergy?

So in a desperate search to figure out my eight month olds behavior I'm trying to figure out if my very gassy baby has some sort of allergy. Julia is very gassy all day and night. I discovered that at night she is up every hour our too from gas pain. I went to LL meeting and they think she might have a milk allergy.
Has anyone here had a gassy baby who ended up with an allergy?
I also called my Dr. and set up an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
silver
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad Gas Equals Allergy?

Sorry, mama, I don't know what to tell you! I think visiting the doctor is a good start, though. I did read somewhere that the number of children whose parents think they have a milk allergy is actually FAR more than the number who actually do, so I would wait until some allergy testing has been done before cutting dairy out of your diet.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

The number of kids whose parents think they have an allergy IS far higher than in actuality, the pp is right about that -- but 2/3 of milk related problems will not show up on allergy testing, so I wouldn't bother with that. You can eliminate dairy and see if it helps.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
babyj06
Registered Users

My DS had bad gas at night, he would wake up screaming. I did some research and realized he might be sensitive to the dairy I was consuming, not necessarily allergic though. I eliminated dairy and in two weeks he was great! No more gassy issues. I reintroduced a little dairy when he was close to a year and he's been fine since. Sometimes dairy is just hard for their little systems to process.

I would eliminate it from your diet and see if it helps. But you might not notice a change for a few weeks.
babyj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
cakemaven
Registered Users
seller

we had bad gas issues/colic until I started taking and giving my LO probiotics. I had taken antibiotics for a breast infection when he was a week old and it destryoed our good bacteria in the gut/bowels. Once we started probiotics, everything straightened out.