Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
mageelindse3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy HEEEELLLP PLEASE!

Hello All!

So I am a WAHM and have been for 9 months (ever since my DD was born) I breastfeed 100% of the time.
My husband and I just bought a business and I will be traveling to PA in April for 2 weeks I just purchased an Electric pump that works great The reason I bought the pump is I want to pump to have milk for a cup (as i refuse to give my DD a bottle!) I need to do this so she can have milk while I am in my training
So my problem is that I cannot get her to really drink it out of her cup, that when I do put milk in her cup she just says "nuh nuh's" and dives for her gold!!! I think the biggest problem is that she does not want to drink it out of the cup when I am right there ... But I do not want to wait untill I am in training and she is at the hotel with my sister for me to realize she wont drink milk out of a cup
I DO NOT want to stop nursing her, and I REFUSE to giver her a bottle after 9 months of nursing (nothing against those who do that i think it is great)
Any advice? Tips? How to get her to drink my milk in a cup and pumping suggestions that wont hurt my supply, or turn her off from nursing

Thanks In advanced!

Advertisement

Mama to Reese Lynn 5/26/07 in love with my best friend more then ever and 8 years later..... baby #2 joining us in March 2012 FINALLY!!!!
mageelindse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HEEEELLLP PLEASE!

have you tried have another person give it to her? that may be your best bet
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, have someone else do it and don't be around.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

Hey, mama...I went through the same thing with my 2 lo's who were exclusively bf...we just had to try tons of different kinds of sippy cups until we found one she would actually drink out of. I would give her a sippy cup with water in it to play around with each day (so I wasn't usig up my precious milk!)...eventually she found a cup she liked (a NUK sippy with a soft rubbery tip) and she realized she could drink from it. Then we started putting milk in it...she wouldn't drink the milk if I was around, but if I wasn't she would drink it...

Good luck!!
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD likes a straw cup or a sippy made for older than her kids... or an open cup with help. She has loved an open cup from about 8 months or so (but only sips of water then).
Good luck! Maybe pump and try a trial run? Give sis the cup and kid, and run out to grab a loaf of bread or something.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
my*scorpio
Registered Users
seller

The best trick I had for pumping was to pump one breast while baby nursed on the other side - first thing in the morning got the most milk.

If you try it, you'll need to use the "football" hold. Hopefully she won't grab at the equipment.

Jennifer, mama to two boys and a girl
my*scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I second trying different cups and letting her try with water while you are around. My dd would never take a bottle and we introduced a cup at 5 months just so daddy would have something in case mommy had to be away. She took right to it. She liked the nuby cup too that the pp mentioned.
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
jsbuquet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in a similar boat only there was no real Need for us. We tried every bottle (early on my DH wanted to participate) and nipple and cup and top known to moms and could not get my babe to take one, I finally did get him to take a cup with a Straw. That he loves, we use the Foogo or a gerber one I think.

To teach younger ones, you do the trick were you put a regular straw in about an inch of water or whatever and then plug the top taking it out and to their mouth. Then let go a little so they get the idea that something comes out, then after a few times of that have her try to suck and don't really let the plug go until she is sucking so she gets the corrilation.

I did hear of other people using a spoon, and being successful. Ultimately the babe will get used to the idea either way. If she is hungry she will eat, or she will wait for you! HTH. ~Jaimey ps. I have nursed for the last 13+ months.

Last edited by jsbuquet; 02-20-2008 at 10:00 PM.
jsbuquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Holy.Strega
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I second trying different cups and letting her try with water while you are around. My dd would never take a bottle and we introduced a cup at 5 months just so daddy would have something in case mommy had to be away. She took right to it. She liked the nuby cup too that the pp mentioned.
This is what we did with DD1 too. DD2 takes a bottle a little better than DD1 did, so I'm not too worried if I have to be away anytime soon since she's just 3 months at this point. Later on I want to avoid bottles for times we're separated (not often) but now she's just too little for a sippy.
Holy.Strega is offline   Reply With Quote