Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How will I know

I know everyone keeps telling me it won't hurt him, but I am so worried about it and I know it should be done because my brother was severly tongue tied and was teased and had to go to speech therapy which never helped!
Our insurance has turned down the two request we have sent in for the LC saying its not covered, but we also just got bills for ds's weight checks which we thought would be covered. We went because he WAS losing a lot of weight, and they say its not covered... I am still trying to get DH to get his butt on the phone and fight it because now we have $430 worth of weight check bills???

I appreciate you helping and do not think you are coming off as a know it all, I know nothing and don't have much support. Everyone, except my cousin who I don't see much and DH, are trying to talk me into FF because DS is hurting me and my pump, PISA, is really rough on me, but I want to BF for as long as I can. I love that I can come online and get help from women who are pro-breastfeeding and experienced breastfeeders!

Advertisement

LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe ask your ped if you can bring your baby in for weight checks. If you see he is gaining, you will know he is getting enough. Newborns should eat 8-12 times a day for various time intervals and produce about as many wet diapers. Breastfed babies may not produce a bm everyday, especially during growth spurts. Remember, every part of breastmilk is digestable and usable by the baby's body to grow, whereas formula has additives for color, flavor and preservatives that must be eliminated so formula fed babies will poo more often.

Most importantly, relax! Stress hormones can interfere with milk let down as well as make you miserable. When you're stressed, your son will pick up on it and be stressed too.

Sounds like you're trying really hard to do it all right. I hope you find what works for you and your baby soon!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ack, I should have read your last post slower! Geez, they charge you for simply weighing!?! I wonder what a home baby scale would run in comparison? You could even try standing on your home scale with the baby then without and subtracting, but it probably doesn't go down to ounces... I'm sorry Mama.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup, $215 to get his weight checked! I was looking for a scale, but the ones they use to check the intake of BM during a feeding cost a whole lot of $$$. Does anyone know how can I find one to rent? I know I can't buy one, not right now anyways we are closing on a house soon, but maybe I can rent one? Also is it normal for DS to sleep almost through the night? He only wakes up once maybe twice somenights, usually 10- 7 but today he slept 10-10 and I am so engorged. Should I be waking him up, or is he fine?
LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraA1212 View Post
Yup, $215 to get his weight checked! I was looking for a scale, but the ones they use to check the intake of BM during a feeding cost a whole lot of $$$. Does anyone know how can I find one to rent? I know I can't buy one, not right now anyways we are closing on a house soon, but maybe I can rent one? Also is it normal for DS to sleep almost through the night? He only wakes up once maybe twice somenights, usually 10- 7 but today he slept 10-10 and I am so engorged. Should I be waking him up, or is he fine?
I wouldn't wake him; just let him sleep and pump when you feel engorged. Try to see how much it would cost to rent a medla pump from the hospital.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
mom2kaydncolt
Registered Users
seller

First you really do need to get his tongue tied taken care of as I'm sure that's the reason for his poor latch. Once that is done his latch should improve and it won't hurt you anymore thus negating that reason to formula feed and if the argument against it is the cost add up the cost of formula for the next year and see what the comparison is.

Secondly, it sounds like his reflux is why he's fussy not a lack of food. He fusses just before or after he spits up so I'm sure its from the pain of the reflux.

Thirdly, if he's having enough wet diapers a day then he's getting enough milk. I don't know what the mucousy stools mean but it sounds like a few other mama's knew a bit about that. Pooping in breastfeeding babies can range anywhere from several times a day to once or twice every several days. My youngest would go three to four days before pooping. The reason for this is because in order to poop you must have waste and with breastmilk there is very little in the way of waste.

I wish you the very best in your nursing relationship with your son. Like someone else said try to relax, I know its easier said than done but I do think that my stress was some of the reason that my oldest and I did not have a successful nursing relationship.