Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chafed bottom on my NB - oh no!

My little guy is only 2 1/2 weeks old - he's been in cloth for 2 weeks (since coming home from the hospital.) I'm not sure if I would call it "diaper rash" but his poor little bum is kind of chapped looking/feeling. It is red and the skin feels a little dry and rough - not soft like the rest of him!

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix it!?! I haven't put any creams on it yet..

Here's some background info:
He is still having really frequent BF poos - like 8 a day (some are just little but still need wiping up). I use only plain warm water and cloth wipes. Some of my wipes are flannel, and some are gerber baby washcloths.

We are doing a wash routine that is: cold wash with baking soda only, one cold rinse, then hot wash with Charlies, one cold rinse with downy ball of vinegar, then one plain cold rinse.

I have some Balmex diaper cream that my cousin gave me but I'm hesitant to put "medication" on him - but maybe it would give him a protective layer from the poo? I also have plain aloe vera gel - would this help at all?

Thanks! Ann

Advertisement

aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Chafed bottom on my NB - oh no!

What kind of diapers are you using? He might just need some fleece liners to keep him dryer
Old 09-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm,
We are using prefolds or fitteds with mostly pul covers - I have one fleece cover, too - so cotton is in contact with his bum. I have some fleece on hand that I could make liners with. Do I just cut little rectangles of it and lay it inside the dipe?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a stack of those gerber baby washcloths (they were 100% polyester or something) they scratched up dd's bum, it actually looked like red line scatches. Maybe got to washcloths made of flannel or something soft. I got some imse vimse ones from wonderworks for cheap. Or ask about for WAHM ones. We haven't had the scraped but thing since I switched.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Congrats on your little one! If it gets worse or redder, it's probably a diaper rash, most likely fungal. If it seems to come and go, try to chart when you see it. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyone else have input to help the little guy's bum?

I made him some fleece liners - so far they appear to have contributed to one blowout - BF poo out of a snappi'd prefold with a NB prowrap - usually those prowrap gussets at least contain the "damage" to just the cover!

I stopped using my gerber washcloths (although I'm about to run out of the flannel wipes - oh no!)

He is still red but doesn't seem as uncomfortable during wiping when changing.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pefolds are alittle tricky with newborns that's why I didn't like them! I used them on my ds when he was about 18months because his poos were much more solid

Can you fold down the back so there is a pocket to catch the poo? I like fitteds to hold in those blowouts much better. Sherpa and velour are the best materials.

The fleece should help unless he is sensitive to polyester which there are a handful of babies that are. HTH
Old 09-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He hasn't blown out up the back yet. It goes out the leg openings (darn those skinny little thighs!) I have started using the "jellyroll" fold with the PFs, though and that is helping a lot with that problem!

Trial and error is what it's all about, isn't it!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To me, if it looks dry maybe put a little baby lotion or baby oil on when you change him? The pee wetness could be drying out his skin.

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here are my thoughts.....is your rinse water sud free when you open the washer up while its agitating? I'm thinking you might have build up already.

Does your detergent have enzymes in it? Those could very well be the problem...try switching to sportswash or allens. You can find sportswash in walmart sporting goods dept. You'll have to strip your diapers to get out all of the enzymes in your dipes. My little guy turns bright red in the diaper area if I use a detergent with enzymes in it.

Change wipes, gerbers are too rough. Just get some flannel and cut it up in squares for wipes, dont worry about sewing them right now they shouldnt frey too much anyways.
use lotion or maybe petroleum jelly to moisturise his skin, or a diaper cream like baby bottom balm. Use a liner though so you dont stain up your dipes or cause build up.

I hope his little bum gets better soon.
Jackie
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote