Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
mommaof2blessings
Registered Users

For those who wait 3 or more days for washing CDs...

How do you take care of poopy diapers? Do you hand wash/pre rinse them before tossing them in the pail? If not, do you have any problems with stains?
How about peed dipes? Do you wash or pre rinse at all?
I'm in search of tips...

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Michele
Registered Users

Re: For those who wait 3 or more days for washing CDs...

I'm finding that while I envisioned having TONS of dipes and only washing every 3 days (or a couple times a week!) if I don't wash till the third day (even the beginning of it!) I'll be washing longer, the dipes won't seem as fresh (so then I rewash) and things are more likely to be stained or dingy. Even with my newborn's bf poops. I suppose if I were to rinse them it'd be better--this is where I can understand the appeal of a wet pail, but I could never have one!

My Feedback is HERE *and* I'm "just-the-mama" on Ebay and have YEARS of feedback there!
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i wash every 3-4 days, i dont have any problems with stink or dingyness.
i do prerince peed diapers and prewash with a little detergent poopy diapers.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
shell015
Banned
seller

I was once a week. Our house doesn't smell at all. No odor problems whatsoever. We rinse out poo by swishing in the toilet. Hanging to dry over towel rod or sower rod or whatever. Both pee and poo we don't rince the pee at all. I dust a little baking soda in there every once in a while and when I wash they come out fresh and clean no stains. I add a little white vinegar when I wash. Some people say don't do this... but it works for us.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm new to this too so might I ask why no to vinegar? I ask because I had read somewhere to put a bit of it in the softener receptacle (or downy ball) to help rinse the dipes...

thoughts??
thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I rinse the poop before putting it in the washer (my pail is my washer) and if its extra sticky or wont come off i'll use a little detergent. pee just gets thrown in as is.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #7
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

I've heard vinegar being tossed in for use as a "fabric softner" but not as a detergent substitute. So I don't know... can't answer that question.

I put everything into a wet bag. pee dipes just get tossed in, poopy gets swished around in toilet and then tossed in wet back. by day three, yeah... suckers need to be washed. I then do a cold prewash with detergent, then will do a full cycle of hot wash/cold rinse.

Most of my dipes are pretty good... they don't have stink issues or dinginess. than again, if I have stains that just won't come out, I can just wet them down with water, spray a lemon juice/water spritz on them, toss them outside (I live in the desert so I get sun ALL the time), they bleach out pretty good. Then I'll wash them to get the lemon juice out and if they are still stained, then I'll toss in a touch of bleach.

good luck!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
maman
Registered Users
seller

I can't imagine swishing. It just seems nasty to me, especially since I could never hang them to dry on a towel rack as previously suggested (baby or doggie would rip the down quick!). Since we have fleece liners for all of our diapers (even with prefolds I lay in a separate fleece liner) the poop just rolls right off in to the toilet. Sometimes if I am traveling or daddy has the baby, we will use the rice paper liners to aid with poop. Then the whole shebang goes in the pail.

I have only recently started having smell issues, but someone mentioned that it might be b/c I line my pail with a recycled trash bag (in our region, these are gray 13 gallon plastic bags made for Harris Teeter). I was told to switch to PUL, but haven't found a mama to make me a 13 gallon PUL laundry bag (or two or three).
Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Zany Zebra Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't swish and I dry pail, but I've found that if I go more than 3 days between washing I can't get the poop smell out of some of the diapers. Z is 26 mos so his poop is more "potent" than a younger baby's would be.

Zany Zebra Designs ~ Diapers as beautifully unique as your child.

~ It's happy, it's crazy, it's my life ~ My Happy Crazy Life
~Amy Sue, Mama to &
Zany Zebra Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #10
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

I only wash twice a week so usually 3 to 4 days. This is probably not ideal but I work pt and cannot deal with diaper laundry on work days.

I get as much poo off as possible and throw them in a dry pail. I do a short wash to rinse them and then add detergent. A soak for a couple hrs and then do a full wash with 2 rinses. I always do a 2nd full wash and rinse. And sometimes a 3rd if I see bubbles.

If I washed more often I probably would never have to ever do that 3rd wash, but sometimes to get the stink out I have to add more detergent. But in the end the diapers come out great.

Every now and then I will get a pocket diaper that I can't get the poo smell out of and I just throw it back in the pail and it always comes out fine in the next washing.

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote