Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
njbeachgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So do you think....

My toddler (who weaned due to my pregnancy) might return to the breast when the new baby comes? She will be 18 months by then. I certainly plan on letting her try to nurse if she wants to! But I have also heard that they don't always remember how.

Anyone BTDT?

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So do you think....

Not me personally, but I have a friend who's daughter weaned at 21/22 months due to pregnancy and started nursing again after baby was born, so I do know it has happened
Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
vickieboggs
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I don't know for sure.....but if it was me, I'd try. I heard that older babies can really help with the pain of engorgement since they are experienced at it already......but how soon they forget I dunno? Hope it works well for you....does she nurse at all even for comfort if not for nutrition to at least keep her knowing how?

Lots of WOOLIES for sale, knit, crochet, shorties and longies
vickieboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #4
eightdandelions
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry if this is too personal, but have you gotten colostrum? Is that why she stopped? I was getting colostrum in from the 2nd trimester on, but I've heard that some moms don't get it until delivery. Just curious....
eightdandelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
njbeachgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she is not interested at all now though i still offer now and then. no colostrum, no milk. it dried up really fast.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me DS was 22 months and I was around 20 weeks whe he weaned. by the time I had the baby he had no interest at all, I thought for sure he would see the baby nursing and want to resume because he was so attached but he doesn't even look or care. I really want to tandem nurse as well, for the help in the pain and the bond that they could form, but I guess he was just ready to wean. but maybe since she is younger it will be different for you.
Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

You can absolutely do it, when I got preg with DD, what little was left of my milk dried up. DS was only 9 months old. Right before DD was born my milk came back in, through the entire pregnancy DS still cuddled my breasts like he had when he was nursing, one day he just happened to get his hand down my shirt and it got wet. He nuzzled with his face so I offered my breast to him, sure enough he tried to latch on, but was unsuccessful. I got a nipple shield and he was able to learn to latch properly again and the nipple shield was gone before before DD was born. He went on to nurse until right before his 3rd birthday, though he never nursed as much as DD has as she has gotten older. Even now (he will be 4 Monday) he will ask for some mama milk in his cup, which of course I have no problems giving him.

ETA: DD was born 1 day short of DS turning 18 months,so they were right about the same age as yours will be.

Last edited by lilmama2dsndd; 02-22-2008 at 10:57 AM.
lilmama2dsndd is offline   Reply With Quote