Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
pbresolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
TV time with 2 under 2

Just wondering if anyone else is in this situation and what they do. Since I had DD (now 3 mo) I have used the TV more than I ever wanted to. DS (almost 22 mo) doesn't
"really" watch it but I like the background noise because I am, well, lonely and sometimes I notice he looks at it. I don't know what else to do. I feel guilty. I am spending a lot of time with DD because she is so small. I try to entertain DS but it's winter so outside isn't an option all the time and he doesn't really like to play with his inside toys. He only wants mommy most of the time, or to get into things he shouldn't if he can't have mommy, so obviously he needs the attention. I don't have any friends with children. I can't take DS to the library yet. He's just wild and it's too much work to take both of them right now but I'm hoping in the near future to do things like that. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
yoopers
Registered Users

Re: TV time with 2 under 2

Congrats on your new little one. I've working with similar issues right now, so I am curious for suggestions too. I have a 2 yr-5 months and a 5 month old. We do not have a tv, so I want to share some of the things that are working for us. I leave the double stroller and a packed diaper bag in the car at all times. It makes getting ready to go that much faster and I make leaving the house a priority 3 days a week. It is hard and I get very tired during the attempt. I feel better for doing it, and my 2 yr old behaves better in public. Sometimes we go the the library and I read to the 2 yr old as he sits in the stroller. Sometimes we grocery shop, my little one is in a carseat carrier in the cart and the 2 yr old in cart basket (I can't buy many groceries at once, they have to fit on side of carseat and then the fact that there is a double stroller in car trunk.) Both of my kids have snowsuits so we do play in backyard for 10 - 20 minutes. It is short and it definitely takes longer to get on snowsuits and baby in front carrier with blanket around cheeks, but I really believe in the value of outdoor play. The fresh air does wonders for clearing my head and lowering stress. I live in a city so I joined a local MOMS Club. That has been wonderful to meet other families. As part of that my 2 yr old is in a weekly playgroup that rotates among houses (that was great for when the baby was nursing 40 minutes at a time.) Now she only takes about 10 minutes, so it is more realistic get our trip done between feedings or to nurse her outside of a home (usually in my car, before getting 2 yr old unbuckled).
While we are at home, my 2 yr old always wants the most attention when I am nursing. I sit on the couch, as opposed to my comfy rocker, so he can sit with us. We read stories, or drive little cars over our laps, or sing songs. He is just now getting into singing, so that is starting to work great. By the way, I totally can't sing, he doesn't care. I found the words online to tons of toddler songs. I made of game of the older one teaching the baby the name of her body parts. So I point to one of baby's body parts and the 2 yr old has to teach her. He also likes to color, so I will get him set up with washable crayons at kitchen table and sit in dining room chair to nurse.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

-Sarah
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
pbresolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: TV time with 2 under 2

Thank you. I think I am lazy! I do need to get out more and we have a park nearby so there is no excuse. It just seems like going anywhere is hard work! My toddler is a high need child and even when there are two of us with the kids it's hard work! I even avoid going places because of it. I'm sure it will improve somewhat as he gets a little older.