Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 year old birthday parties

In my family it is tradition for the first birth day to be a fiesta! So, that is what I did, to stay on some what of a budget I made it pot luck style, told everyone to bring their favorite Mexican dish! Wish turned out great. I didn't have to cook a lot, and it saved a lot on food! I just made about 100 cupcakes LOL (we have a huge family). We had a Pinata, games for the other kids, prizes, etc..It was fun, but she had no idea what was going on, ya know?
Her 2nd birthday was a lot more fun, IMO! (But cost me a lot more haha). She was much more into it. We just had people over for a BBQ!
This year, I am not doing any kind of party except at home! I'll buy her a cake, or something.
Im not doing any more parties until she can ask for one. LOL

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
CanAmCircus
Banned

My Mood:

I will be taking notes, my LO is turning one end of march
CanAmCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my boys have July birthdays. For DJ's first birthday, we had a party at my aunt's pool and invited family and the kids from mom's daycare. DJ was all about "Old MacDonald" at that time so we did a cake with green icing and some plastic farm animals and barn and tractor. We grilled hamburgers and hotdogs and let the kids swim. It was fun for everyone.

James' first birthday was three weeks after DJ's third birthday so I decided to be lazy and just do one party in the middle of July. I'm kind of freaky about having people in my house so we did it at a local park and it was awesome. Again, we had family and the daycare kids. This time I didn't want to do a meal because it's just too expensive and too much hassle so I got a couple of watermelons and a couple of bags of pretzels and a case of water for the adults and juice boxes for the kids. DJ wanted a Lightning McQueen cake and I made James a train cake. The kids played on the playground for a while then came to the pavilion in the shade and ate watermelon and cake while the boys opened presents. We'll probably do the same thing again this year!

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!

Last edited by bfoster2000; 02-26-2008 at 02:37 PM.
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

these are great! bump for evening crowd; as some other mama's are watching this thread
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, at 1 year DD couldn't have cared less about anything but the balloon. She wasn't interested in tearing the paper or in the toys. At that age, I'd say it's for you, not for your LO! <G>
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh -- about cake, check your options at local health food stores. We went with a boxed lemon wheat-free etc and a frosting of mushed bananas and yogurt, and it was fine.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
bama
Registered Users
seller

I went all out for my ds1's birthday. But he was running by that point so he could do a lot. We had 35 people about 15 kids of all ages. His birthday is in june, so I had three kiddie pools, a fun palm tree sprinkler and a slip-n-slide for the older kids. The theme was tropical, fish, palm trees, little buckets with bottles of bubbles and ducks and star fish for party favors. He really had a blast!
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #18
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a friend had hers at an indoor inflatable bounce place. There was a small slide and ball pit etc for the under-2 crowd and big fun for big kids. Her house was small and she wanted it somewhere else to avoid clean up.

For my first we did all this cute "party food" (stuffed cherry tomatoes, veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, etc) but in retrospect it was kinda silly (it was elmo themed). For the next kid it didn't matter b/c nobody came(but it was a lady bug/garden theme). For baby #3 we did a train party. I made bread loaves (banana, zuccini, carrot, and apple caramel) and frosted with cream cheese frosting. It was shaped into a train and freight cars. The frosting was colored and there was candy on the outside. We gave him a cupcake made from the zuccini batter and frosted his with a puree I made of banana and steel cut oats.
For baby #4 I did a "pat-a-cake" theme. Its my favorite theme actually. I'll even put up a picture for you, hold on while I go find it (hee hee cause you're waiting right?)
ok here it is. I traced his hands on rolled out sugar cookie dough to make the hands.

That child wasn't eating solids yet. Since I knew he'd refuse whatever we gave him I let everyone pile his tray with cake and icecream which he ignored. He wouldn't even touch it.

My littlest turns one on Sunday. We're doing a Sweet Pea party.
The cake will be pale pink with dark pink and green stripes down the sides. A vine with white flowers and pea pods around the edge (if I can manage it) and a pea pod on the top in green frosting. We might put green m&m's on it since the plates have green "pea-ka-dots"
We're making "toddler foods" a bowl of sweet pes, a bowl of melon, crackers and hummous, banana-oat cookie sticks (we make these), pumpkin mini-muffins (we make these too), and the baby will get a "cupcake" that is again a zuccini muffin with banana-oat frosting.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
Kris5135
Registered Users
seller

We had our son's at the local park district. We rented a big room there. I don't have room in our house for all our family. I personally believe that the first birthday is a family thing. Everyone comes to "see the baby" when they are first born, then this is the next "see the baby" event. Since I didn't have a traditional wedding it was the first time that both my husband's & my family were all together in one place. The cake & themes are unimportant (to the guests & baby). If they are important to you then go for it.
Kris5135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
Grrchurch03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had the party at our house, had some friends over, kept it short and didn't schedule anything, people talked and played, had cake and chatted some more then they were gone. I didn't want her to be too overstimulated, so there were no games and things for the older kids, but they all had fun playing. We did decorate and everything, just avoided lots of scheduling and kept it as short as possible without being rude and kicking people out. We also do not open gifts when other people are here, keeps the other kids from trying to steal presents and throwing fits etc bc they want the toy for themselves, etc.