Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #21
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Another Ear infection!

I agree with going to the chiropractor and cutting out dairy. Dairy is mucus forming and bacteria loves to cling to mucus. Also, cutting out any kind of sugars.

Another thing that I am doing with our ds is having him take xylitol. http://www.xlear.com
Xylitol is a natural sugar found in fruits. My son uses a tooth gel for toothpaste and has a small candy called Sparx. Xylitol is know to prevent bacteria from adhering to teeth to combat tooth decay. It also helps bacteria from adhering to mucus in the ear canal. Check out the web site.

Advertisement

starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Well, the ENT explained to us that the pressure on his ear drums would cause it to bulge a little bit, and would not allow his ears to properly drain, therefore the fluid would collect and start growing bacteria, thus the recurrent infections.. soo, but placing the tubes, this keeps the pressure out of there and keeps the fluid collecting in there.. He goes back next week for his following so I'm crossing my figures this continues to work out!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My baby has had 3 ear infections before 6 months old and the ped still has not recommended tubes. She wants us to visit the immunologist next if he continues to get them. We also plan to see the chiro if they continue. I know that a lot of people get tubes still, but here is an article from the New York Times that may change your mind...

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/health/he...ns-expert.html
Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #24
bama
Registered Users
seller

I would be wary of getting anymore tubes if this set doesn't work. I know a lot of mamas have babes with multiple sets, but for me personally, I had 6 sets of tubes and now have a hearing problem BECAUSE I had multiple sets of tubes. Also, a lot of doctors don't tell you that you can't put certain drops in your lo's ears after tubes. If you do it will cause EXTREME pain and could cause hearing loss. The over the counter similisan is also a big no-no even after the tubes fall out.I had a dr. accidentally prescribe me drops at 18, and I have NEVER had anything hurt so bad, even after having two kids! I am so glad your little one is doing better though!
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not that a set of tubes doesn't work, it's that the ear drum grows and changes and eventually a set falls out. But even though they've changed and grown, the problem might not be outgrown, kwim? So often times another set is needed. My son is on his second set (well, 2.5 because one fell out for some fluke reason within a couple weeks of getting them). Hopefully this is his last set, but I wouldn't be against getting them once more at all. And for all three times, my son's never been put under to get tubes placed in. We do the in-office version and it's over with in less than 10 minutes. And yes, tubes can cause hearing loss as well. It's a catch 22. It really depends on how great the issues with the ears are, and that will vary with every child. I definitely do NOT think tubes are right for every child! But my son had 6 ear infections within his first 8 months of life. When your child is in hysterical pain ALL the time, then yeah... tubes aren't so bad. Same thing happened the second time, an ear infection lasting literally from October 7th until January 3rd, two weeks after he got his second set of tubes. Then he had another as soon as the single tube fell out. He's been fine since having it replaced.

ALSO, for moms who have kids with ear issues, I recently tracked my son's second round of ear infections to the RX Singulair. One of the side effects is ear infections, something no one told me. His issues (at 18 months) started one week after starting Singuliar! So if your babies are on that, END it immediately and see if that helps. I ended Jacks a couple weeks ago when I found out. I'm sure it's one of those, which is worst, allergies or ear infections. But for Jack, it's ear infections hands down.