Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #181
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: i just want to ask...why only when its medical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittinknija View Post
I was puming every 3 hours and only getting 5 oz.

Totally OT, but did you mean 0.5 oz? Because 5 oz is really good. I only get 4 oz.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #182
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
Is it possible she is judging the formula and it's companies (beacuase of the awful tactics they use, etc,) rather than just the focus being to the mom???
I think that's what many people said here but for some reason it keeps getting turned into "I'm a bad mom because I ff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
And for the record I went through H*LL BFing my first. It was insane but Formula was not and is not an option for me. I hate formula and formula companys - THAT DOES NOT MEAN I HATE YOU OR THINK YOU ARE A HORRID MOTHER AND YOUR CHILD SHOULD STARVE!

Just had to write that because these threads p*ss me off.

Off to play with my kids
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #183
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
Totally OT, but did you mean 0.5 oz? Because 5 oz is really good. I only get 4 oz.
I mean 5 oz. TOTAL, from all the pumping sessions. At the time DS was eating aroung 20 oz. a day, so I was falling WAY short.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #184
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I did not want to come back to this thread because these kinds of threads
are posted just to make drama.

Anyway, yeah some FFing Moms are judged and SUPRISE BFing Moms are too - shocking right?

Have you been kicked out of a public place for feeding your child? (looked down on)

Has someone told you "Ewww, my dinner is ruined now because of that" while you are feeding your child at a resturant?

Trust me I can go on and on and on with those examples! Just because every once in awhile one of these insanly stupid threads is posted and BS links are posted to try and prove some point DOES NOT MEAN you are being looked down on! Because someone says formula should be by RX only DOES NOT MEAN she is calling you a bad mother. She is saying Formula is handed out and shoved in everyones face and THAT needs to stop! Stop assuming.

And for the record I went through H*LL BFing my first. It was insane but Formula was not and is not an option for me. I hate formula and formula companys - THAT DOES NOT MEAN I HATE YOU OR THINK YOU ARE A HORRID MOTHER AND YOUR CHILD SHOULD STARVE!

Just had to write that because these threads p*ss me off.

Off to play with my kids

I think we live in very different types of places. In the city I live in I cannot imagine anyone looking down on a woman breastfeeding her child in public. I saw a woman doing it just this last weekend and nobody batted an eye. Nobody said anything to me about not wanting me to breastfeed in public. I have had random strangers decide to lecture me on the benefits of breastfeeding vs. formula feeding while I was feeding my child a bottle. And every nurse, midwife and doctor I saw encouraged me to continue. And I would have, but I had to pump because I am not a stay at home mom and my job does not allow me to bring my baby with me. Formula had to be an option or my baby would not have had enough to eat. If I was a stay at home mom I'm sure things would have been totally different. But you're right, both sides are judged. And it's wrong, either way.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #185
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

NM
Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #186
sbolen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittinknija View Post
I mean 5 oz. TOTAL, from all the pumping sessions. At the time DS was eating aroung 20 oz. a day, so I was falling WAY short.

Its not fun having to pump.
Luckily my LO is a dainty eater so I can keep up with her (I work during the day). Otherwise, I'd have to supplement.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #187
pumpkins_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To the OP, HUGS! Completely understandable why you went the FF route with your LO. I, for one, would like to see everyone at least attempt breastfeeding - and if it doesn't work out, okay. But I know that everyone has to make the choice for their family, and I would certainly never tell someone she made the wrong choice by FFing.

Hope ya'll don't mind if I inject a little humor into this discussion.
From the book "Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And other things I had to learn as a new mom"
Stopping breastfeeding is like getting out of your Columbia Record & Tape Club membership; there are sinister forces at work that don't want to let this happen.
All I can say is, when I sobbed to my pediatrician for the fourth time that I couldn't stop breastfeeding, because I didn't want to be a bad mom and let down my husband, my baby, and my country...he told me to stop. He reminded me that the most important thing is how the feeding affects your relationship with the baby. Well, let's just say that my baby and I were on the verge of needing counseling. As soon as I stopped breastfeeding, I started enjoying my baby at feeding time.
Whatever the reason, if you want to continue, then we support you. But if you want to stop, that's okay, too.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #188
Knittinkninja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkins_mom View Post
Hope ya'll don't mind if I inject a little humor into this discussion.
From the book "Sippy Cups Are Not for Chardonnay: And other things I had to learn as a new mom"
Stopping breastfeeding is like getting out of your Columbia Record & Tape Club membership; there are sinister forces at work that don't want to let this happen.
All I can say is, when I sobbed to my pediatrician for the fourth time that I couldn't stop breastfeeding, because I didn't want to be a bad mom and let down my husband, my baby, and my country...he told me to stop. He reminded me that the most important thing is how the feeding affects your relationship with the baby. Well, let's just say that my baby and I were on the verge of needing counseling. As soon as I stopped breastfeeding, I started enjoying my baby at feeding time.
Whatever the reason, if you want to continue, then we support you. But if you want to stop, that's okay, too.
Wow, I wish I'd had that book when I quit. That's totally how I felt.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #189
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To the OP:
I know this thread began because of statements by me and one other mom(who I didn't see posting in this thread at all). I am sorry for your hurtful past experiences That shouldn't happen to anyone. I am also a rape survivor, so I can commiserate with some of the emotions in the aftermath of such a violation.
As to my feelings on your specific situation, I honestly don't feel it appropriate to pass judgement on individuals. I was making statements in that thread that I stand 100% by on a general level. I was not speaking of or to any one mother in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdeasons View Post
I thoroughly suggest that you seek some counseling (tricare covers the first 8 visits free, at the very least. Once you've established that you have sexual abuse in your past, they will continue to cover visits as long as you need them) Avoiding the trauma won't make it better. If having a child on your breast brings the trauma to the surface in a strong way, chances are that you're still dealing with the trauma. I'm not sure if you're a Christian. If you are, you know that if you bring that hurt and pain to God, he'll take it away from you. So long as you hold onto the trauma, it will hurt you. I'm sure that there is a place of complete forgiveness, and I'm sure that it's the only way to heal.

Again, sorry if I ruffled feathers. It's obviously a subject that is near to me.
I agree with this. (except the Christian part, I'm not Christian, but perhaps it applies to the OP) I also would like to suggest that perhaps talking to non-professionals is not as thorough as you may think it is. Professionals can offer a different sort of help than those emotionally involved in your life. Time alone does not heal all wounds. I hate that statement because it so glaringly misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleykaymay View Post
ok well this is a response to the prescription thing...what happens to you bfing if something happens to your milk or you are hurt and can't feed your baby...does your baby starve because it is 11 o clock on a friday night and you can't find a doctor or a pharmacy to give it to you....or do you go to the store and get it? take it from someone who ran out of formula before. this again is not meant snarky...i am just pointing out that maybe that is too far.
This just wouldn't happen. Milk doesn't just "dry up" from one feeding to the next. And being "hurt" would not render one unable to breastfeed.
Were formula not available OTC, there would be systems in place to make formula available in true emergencies. Additionally, if more mothers breastfed, breastmilk would be more readily available. You would be much more likely to have friends with EBM on hand or who were lactating and willing to nurse your baby for you. Some of my friends and I have a go-to back up plan for how to get our babies breastfed in case of a true emergency. My son, now being over 12 months, would not need this since he can subsist ok on solids if needs be. But prior to 12 months, I have friends that would have nursed him or pumped for him.
As for running out of formula.... I FF my first son and never ran out. That was something way too important to take a chance with.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #190
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if we want to increase the number of women who breastfeed until 1 and beyond, we need

1. REAL education and support by hospital/birthing staff
2. REAL support once they get home with their LO (at least 5 home LC visits)
3. REAL maternity leave -- 12 weeks unpaid from FMLA is a f***ing joke. At least 6 months paid, better a year.
4. REAL family values (none of this make believe "we are anti aborition therefore family values shi* that politicans like to sling) that supports women or men staying home to raise their families...split shifts, job sharing etc...lets take the BEST of what other countries do and use it here...they have already proven it WORKS!

until we move in this direction...and frankly we MUST do this or our country is going to fall further behind (not for BFing specifically,b ut other reason as well) we will get no where

THESE ARE REAL FAMILY VALUES!