Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need advice on a super trim diaper cover

My daughter is a HEAVY wetter, and even diapers with PUL get wet on the outside from her (lol).
So, I really need to start putting a lightweight cover over her diaper so we dont keep getting wet clothes.
I have a couple wool things, but its still a bit too warm here and she sweats. So, can anyone recommend a really trim and lightweight cover I could use?
My mom suggested just plain old plastic pull on covers, but I dont even know where I would buy them.

Any advice is appreciated! THANKS!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
jeniperlyn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need advice on a super trim diaper cover

Plastic (vinyl) pull on pants sweat more than wool, wool is breathable. The few times i used gerber vinyl pants my DS diaper would be damp on the outside from sweat and his diaper would be warm. If your going to use a pull on type cover i would suggest dappi nylon pull on pants, they are cheap and don't sweat like vinyl. You can get them on ebay (babybestbuy), babybestbuy.com or little-lions.com, depending on how many you are going to get little-lions might be cheapest and she has very fast shipping. Also the covers are generous in size so get the weight range it says, don't go bigger because it will be too big. Good luck!

Oh yeah, if you buy from babybestbuy make sure they are the nylon pull on because they do sell the vinyl too.
SAHM to Zachary Arthur 4/5/06 Mckenzie Elizabeth 5/14/08 our angel with wings 6/2/07 & Complete Molar Pregnancy 3/8/12 followed by ema/co (multi unit chemo). weened at 24 months DD and 12 months DS, , ...out of the loop! Baby #3 due 5/19/15.
jeniperlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Have you tried a double layer fleece cover (like Stacinator Deluxe)?
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
cprice88
Registered Users
seller

All of these covers are waterproof, none are vinyl so they have some breathability (but still not as breathable as wool)...

Mother-ease makes breathable, waterproof covers. The Rikki wrap is a velcro closure style, the Airflow is a side-snap style that fits like a pull-on cover (very generous sizing, fits over anything, which you might need if you're doing the thicker, more absorbent types of diapers). They are high quality and available in cute prints. The price is reasonable. The only drawback is they take kind of a long time to ship from Canada to the U.S. (for some legal reason they are not sold at retail level in the U.S. you have to buy direct from the manufacturer). You can find them used here and on eBay if you're in a rush, but the used ones sell for almost as much as you can buy it new b/c they are really great products in fairly high demand. www.mother-ease.com

Bumkins are very thin and trim, but may not provide the full coverage you need. Some fitteds peek out at the legs because the Bumkins covers have more of a high-cut leg opening. I have also heard these don't fit chubby babies well (they always fit my ds perfectly and he had average thigh chub). Widely available online and in some boutique baby stores. www.bumkins.com

Bummis are trim, although slightly thicker than the Bumkins or Mother-ease, but again, they may not provide the full coverage you need. Especially with a heavy wetter, you probably want to try things with a generous cut so you can be sure it'll cover the dipe completely. Also widely available online and in some boutique baby stores. Personally I did not like the fit of these, but I love the quality (I think people generally find that either Bumkins or Bummis fit well, but not both.) www.bummis.com

I would not suggest fleece covers of any type--even the thinnest ones (probably Sugar Peas day weight is the thinnest around) are bulkier than the three brands I mentioned above.

If you want something trim and don't like waterproof materials, wool is the way to go.

Good luck!
cprice88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bumkins are as trim as it gets IMO, and vented in back for breathability. Mine are JUST starting to wick, on kid #4 with MANY accidental trips through the dryer. Motherease wraps are impossible to leak through. Impossible. but they are "bubbly", as in cut in a round shape to cover even the bulkiest dipe.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Youngatheart
Registered Users
seller

We live in Florida where it's very hot and humid and have a little here who is very hot nature and sweats alot (even the bottom of her feet!)...and although it sounds crazy, wool keeps her cooler than anything else I can put on her.

I haven't actually checked the temp of all the covers we've tried with a thermometer (maybe I should do that!), but anything but wool almost always means a heat rash within a couple of hours.

Hope you find something to keep your little one cool!

ETA: Oh, forgot to answer your question...Loveybums wool wraps (jersey) are trim and work great with prefolds...I think they would also work with fitteds, too

Flat/Prefold-loving Grandma to five beautiful LOs
!!! I'm so excited...Emma Grace is here...born Nov. 26, 2014 !!!
!!! Welcome Luke David(10/18/08) & Loriana Malise(10/21/08) !!!
Patiently waiting for future grandbabies

Last edited by Youngatheart; 09-13-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Youngatheart is offline   Reply With Quote