Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
punkmama3
Registered Users

Re: Overactive letdown

Thank you all for your advice!
I'm going to see about the blocking method one of you mentioned. I've also been pumping for my older son (he's 19mths old, but can't BF), so I was hoping the pumping would help, but I guess not! lol

Thank you all again!!

Advertisement

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmama3
Thank you all for your advice!
I'm going to see about the blocking method one of you mentioned. I've also been pumping for my older son (he's 19mths old, but can't BF), so I was hoping the pumping would help, but I guess not! lol

Thank you all again!!

Pumping *may* actually make the problem worse, unless you pump for your DS immediately before you BF DD. Your body responds to the amount of demand, so the more demand, the more milk you make, which contributes to the OAL. Time will definitely help...as others mentioned, OAL didn't really subside for me until the 3 or 4 month mark. The block feeding did help. What it does is help balance your milk supply to the demand. I would also just let my milk leak into a burpcloth until the forceful flow had subsided once letdown start. Good luck!

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
punkmama3
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by halyled
Pumping *may* actually make the problem worse, unless you pump for your DS immediately before you BF DD. Your body responds to the amount of demand, so the more demand, the more milk you make, which contributes to the OAL. Time will definitely help...as others mentioned, OAL didn't really subside for me until the 3 or 4 month mark. The block feeding did help. What it does is help balance your milk supply to the demand. I would also just let my milk leak into a burpcloth until the forceful flow had subsided once letdown start. Good luck!
I usually pump on one side while nursing on the other. I'm actually going to attempt to get my son to the breast (I know at 19mths, it may be impossible, but I hope not! I'll let you know though!). If that happens then I may not need to pump. But I might just pump to have a stash for the babies, in case hubby is watching them and the situation becomes desperate (my daughter thinks she is starving every half hour, lol).
Thank you though. I didn't have this problem with my older 2. But she is only 7 weeks, so I'm hoping it'll go away/resolve itself soon.

Thank you again!

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 AM   #14
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I just noticed you have a house full - but if you get a chance to check it out - take a look at the LLL message boards and find info there about the block feeding and OALD - if you ever have any queswtions about it feel free to PM me as I have experience ..

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/index.php

good luck
Old 09-13-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
elizablessed
Registered Users
seller

I concur with the block feeding, not pumping, etc. I wanted to add that for me the problem (just as you described) mysteriously went away over a weekend when I forgot to take my supplements. So if you are taking supplements take a look at that. Now I just make sure I eat well. And DS is nursing like a charm.

so wabi sabithreading light
elizablessed is offline   Reply With Quote