Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
making fitteds from prefolds part 2

Okay, this is a continuation of a previous thread here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=328621
which explores the idea of converting some of your prefolds into fitteds to make them more DH/grandparent/sitter/daycare friendly using inexpensive materials. In the first thread I made one NB size by hand out of two washcloths

This is experiment #2, made of a used regular prefold second and flannel off the $1/yard table at Walmart with a entry-level machine using only straight and zig zag stitches. I also used about a foot of velcro (99cents a yard for Joann's brand) and less than a foot of 3/8 polybraid elastic. This diaper follows a free pattern I found on the internet (Mama Bird) and is supposed to fit 10-20 pounds, but you could really use any pattern. I am a novice sewer who hasn't made any serious projects in 10 years, so in theory anyone should be able to do this.

Step one: Cut out your pieces from the pattern. Since this was a second, the middle layer of the prefold was off-center quite a bit, so I had to cut the piece out from off-center:

Step 2:
The whole pattern is slightly larger than a regular prefold. So I have to cut a piece of the top scrap to make one tab. If you were centering your pattern, you'd have to do this to both sides. You want the scrap from the top because it will have the top and one side edge already finished.

Step 3 and 4: Attach your tabs to make the full pattern cutout.

Step 5: Cut out your second layer, making it about 1/2 inch or so longer on the end with the unfinished edges on the prefold. I didn't realize how crooked my cut was until after the picture, I did fix it before the next step.

Step 6: Fold over twice and sew the hem on the longer edge of the second layer, so it will now match the prefold layer.

Step 7:
Sew on your velcro. Since the flannel is my inner layer, the hook velcro goes on the ends of the flannel layer, right side up. The loop velcro goes on the prefold layer, right side up. I didn't do laundry tabs for this diaper, but it wouldn't be hard to add extra loop velcro to the flannel layer just inside of the hook pieces, so you would fold over to stick before washing.

Step 8: Put the right sides together facing each other, and sew both sides and across the back (the one with the unfinished prefold edge). You don't want to sew up the fourth side, the one with the finished edges - leave that open. You can see where I sewed because I used dark thread.

Step 9: Sew on the elastic (this is the hardest part). In this picture, the right side elastic is already sewn in. On the left side, I've marked with pins where the starting and ending point of the elastic should be. I pinned the top of the elastic before sewing, and pulled it tight as I sewed it with a zigzag stitch. Then I cut off the excess elastic.

Step 10: Turn the diaper inside out. You now have a finished fitted diaper, with a pocket that you can stuff with a doubler, washcloth, or microfiber shop cloth. Note: I picked this flannel for the inside because I thought it would be soft on the baby and hid stains well. You could easily do a pretty fabric on the outside and use the prefold for the inside, you just have to reverse where the velcro goes in these steps.

Picture of finished, folded diaper. It appears to be the same size as a other medium fitted diapers I have for 10-20 pounds. I don't have a baby of that size to try it on though.

Voila! Cheap fitted diaper for the prefold-challenged.

cheryl

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
bellasophy04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: making fitteds from prefolds part 2

ohh my great tut! Thank you so much I will try to make one before Friday.

bellasophy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
ohiomama
Registered Users
seller

do you think you could make a "pocket" out of the camo fleece and them slide the PF/fitted into it??? I am thinking for "style"
Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you mean make a pocket out of two layers of camo flannel and no prefold? Because you can stuff a prefold/insert inside this diaper now. Now a to stuff a fitted inside, essentially making a "fancy" cover for a plain fitted (what a great idea!), I think you would have to trace the actual fitted diaper instead of just any pattern so it could fit inside neatly. I'm not sure, I don't have an already made fitted to try that with, but I think that would be the solution. And if you did it with fleece, I guess you have essentially made it an AI2 that can be separated so the outside cover could be dried with fabric softener to keep the repelling going. I'd guess you'd need a double layer of fleece on the outside, at least in the wet zone, unless you are using that expensive Malden Mills stuff. But since Joann's AP fleece is on sale right now, that would be a good project! I found some in the remnant bill two days ago that was marked down to $2/yard! And the regular solids, they were marked down to $4/yard!

I can tell you, the more experiments I do with these cheap flannels, it's really not pretty enough for the outside of a diaper. It gets pilly really fast after only a couple of washings. If you are picking something to be pretty on the outside, I'd go with a woven cotton.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Somebody had the same idea, and figured out how to make a fitted out of just a prefold and made a tutorial here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=360788
Well, technically it's a prefitted, but you could add your snaps/velcro to it and make it a fitted. I'm going to try this too. I've been trying to figure out how to do this, and couldn't figure out the logistics of it. I'm also going to try to make a pocket out of fleece, that you could stuff a PF into.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
Laura P
Registered Users

You rock!!! I've been searching everywhere for a pattern like this. I can't wait to try them out because you make it look so easy. I think they're better without hook and loop so they won't stick to one another in the wash. The simpler the better. Thank you so much for posting the tutorial.
Laura P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Laura P
Registered Users

OOps! I'm sorry, I'm new to this type of site. That last comment was supposed to be directed at the 'A new way to prefitted - no serger required tutorial'
I really like your camo diaper though, and I'm going to make some of the washcloth dipes for my next. Thanks.
Laura P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
iamawahm
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Awesome !! Love this !
iamawahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tutorial.
Your descriptions and photos are great.
nannabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
4BoysMom
Registered Users

oh man I have diaper making envy!! I bought a bunch of PF's to use with my last kiddo and I never really got the hang of it so I have a big box full of PF's that are fairly "unusable", as diapers at least and a life time and a half of dust rags.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Easy Lunch Boxes - The Best LunchBoxes Easylunchboxes.com
4BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote