Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
hmoore
Registered Users
seller

strange symptoms unsure if due to cloth

we started using cloth diapers on my 15 month old this past saturday. he has been unusually fussy since. first just his boy stuff was slightly red. now from his diaper area up he is covered in red bumps. it started just there and went up his tummy and now today it's up on his neck and stuff. He is also running a 102.7 degree fever. My husband is of course wondering if it's something in the diapers. I wonder if he's sick. I have an appt to take him to the doctor this afternoon but i know they won't understand any questions about the cloth. so i thought you guys might have a better idea.
thanks in advance for any advice.

(oh and unsure if it matters but we are using fuzzi buns with either a chinese prefold or a microfiber insert.) thanks!

Advertisement

hmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: strange symptoms unsure if due to cloth

THat doesnt sound like a reaction to the diapers. WHen we had diaper problems it was just a rash, no fever & definately didnt spread more than where the diaper touched. I'd take your ds to the DR.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't think it has to do with the cloth. A lot of times, fevers can be accompanied by a rash--that's fairly normal!

Of course, you never know, but I think they are symptoms related to being sick, and not to cloth!

Good luck! I hope he's feeling better!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

yes my opinion is the same as the pp. when we found out brighton had a problem w/the fleece it was only where the fleece touched. ds has some type of virus it sounds like.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

It sounds more like Roseola to me. I forgot to look at his age, but it is possible that he has strep throat with a rash. (Scarlet Fever) I hope that it is not Strep, as no kid ever gets it once. It's one of those things that seems to come back to visit a couple of times a year.

It's not very common for an infant, or very young baby to get Strep throat though. I am sure it happens, it just isn't common.

I hope he feels better really soon. I hate it when a baby is sick.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
pingumel

if it was just limited to the diaper area, i'd think it was a reaction to the fabric or detergent. but sounds like it's not. one wonders if there could be an infection, perhaps a superficial skin infection of some sort? like if he has an irritation for whatever reason, like a diaper rash, then the skin's natural protective barrier is shot and he could get an infection (like from bacteria in poop) that could potentially spread.

that would be rare, though. common things being common, it's most likely a virus that is accompanied by a rash, and his symptoms are unrelated to cloth diapering.

but i bet the doc will tell you to go back to disposable for now, until he's all better, just to cover all bases. because no one knows everything. they don't teach you about cloth diapers in med school.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
momto4monkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

could be scarlet fever