Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I know which kitchenaid stand mixer to get?

I have the aritsian model. I don't use it all the often so for us it is more than enough.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Professional one. I figure, if you're gonna save your $$ you might as well make it worth your while.

GL deciding
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #13
lmvanzee
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think mine is called the epicurian but you don't really see that one around much any more. it is one of the professional styles.

I wanted a big mixer. The thing that it really came down to was would it fit on the counter and be able to slide back to the wall (ie how tall is it)

Its a consideration because it is one of those appliances that you don't want to have to be moving all the time.
lmvanzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
AutoShopMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would get an artisian or better...I have a classic and it might say that it handles 2 loaves of bread ... but I literally have to hold mine still with 2 hands while it mixes the dough for 1 loaf!!! I feel so bad, my dh bought me one b/c he knew I wanted one badly ... well I asked him the other day if I started making breads he liked could I get a "manly-er" mixer b/c this poor classic just isn't going to cut it! Also the bowl is shaped funny and it's hard to get ingredients into the bowl, especially while it's mixing.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Silvercrest79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trastull View Post
Mom2fussy has great information!!!

I got the Pro 6 because I wanted to know that it wasn't going to bog down when I made bread. I make my homemade noodle dough, cookie dough, bread, cakes etc...

I definantly wouldn't trade it for a lower model... I know that whatever I ask it to do it will do.

I bought most of the attachments. Still need the noodle press, & grain grinder but will get those in time...

I don't mind the lift up bowl feature... I think most people don't like it because it is a little more work to get your ingredients in than a tilt.
Yep same here. If you want to make bread or any thicker dough you don't want a tilt becaus it will jump and walk all over the counter.

I love mine and could even use a bit bigger bowl than the one I have.
Silvercrest79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #16
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I absolutely love the Artisan. If I cooked as much as my mom does, I'd get a Pro... (which she did in addition to the Artisan that she uses for the home baking needs)... But I only need something to help make bread, cakes and cookies for now... if the family grows or I branched out and started cooking some Gluten Free goods for others, I'd definitely upgrade for a Pro in a heartbeat.

We're watching sales out here in Germany and hoping to get an Artisan with all the works so I can do everything we have need for.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
mamjo777
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvanzee View Post
I wanted a big mixer. The thing that it really came down to was would it fit on the counter and be able to slide back to the wall (ie how tall is it)

Its a consideration because it is one of those appliances that you don't want to have to be moving all the time.
I just measured my counter-to-cupboard, and it's 1/2 inch too short! Problem is, I have decided that the professional is the one I really need! Does anyone keep their mixer across the kitchen from the "baking center" and then just haul the bowl back and forth?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
mamjo777
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you, Mom2fussy! You're information is SOOO helpful!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #19
Joyful Baby
One Size Diapers and Covers
seller

My Mood:

I have the classic and use it for everything! I have even done bread recipes that make 2 loaves w/o a problem, along w/ triplr batches of cookies. I've never had any other model though - this one seems to work just fine. I've had it 2 yrs and use it at least every other day!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamjo777 View Post
I just measured my counter-to-cupboard, and it's 1/2 inch too short! Problem is, I have decided that the professional is the one I really need! Does anyone keep their mixer across the kitchen from the "baking center" and then just haul the bowl back and forth?
When I was back in the US and cooking with mom, we did. The way our kitchen was shaped was like an L, with the long part having the counter space, sink and kitchenaid on far end of the top, and the other counterspace being devoted to the oven/stove. We'd walk the bowl to the stove, or walk the cooking pans to the bowl.

With the kitchen counter space I have currently, I'd have to walk it literally 3 feet across from the kitchen counter to the oven/stove and counterspace for the pans... there's just no way to have it all on the same counter *and* Have room to work with bread/pastry/cookie making... kitchen's just a tad too small for that part.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote