Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #21
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Urgent Pumping Question! HELP!!

Is the pump the Elan? You know the newest one.
I have one of thoses and love it. For getting some extra BM I would nurse on one side and pump on the other. It always worked for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by presleycaedmon
I've got a...um...well crap I don't know what it is and I'm too tired to go look! LOL I know it's an evenflo and it's dual and it's electric. That's about all I can recall right now. With DS I had an Avent manual pump and it worked just fine so I'm way confused as to why this is totally not working for me!

Advertisement

Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn'sMomma
It is a big screaming war everytime I even bring the bottle to her lips! Any one have any advice? I tried Avent bottles (which are supposed to be the closest to the breast) and Dr. Browns. The few times that she has calmed down enough to have it in her mouth, without screaming, she chews up and down on the nipple and can't get her tongue and lips in the right spot. Very frustrating! Especially when I go back to work (max 4 hours each day) in 2 weeks! Good luck on the pumping!!!
I had the same problem with my ds#2 and I finally tried playtex premium nursers and he took the bottle with no problem. With ds#3 I didn't even try any other bottle, but the playtex with the naturalatch nipple! You can also buy the storage things that you can pump right into the dropins and freeze (no tranferring and no wasted milk)! There is a converter in the storage things to work with all pumps!
Good luck! I highly recommend these bottles!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #23
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much! I'm gonna go order one right now. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it works!!!
Katelyn'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #24
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn'sMomma
I was in this same boat just about 3 weeks ago. Ok, I did get a drip or two into the bottle but not much more! Everyone told me to pump after the baby was done nursing and I would do it when she was napping. I think the biggest thing was I was so worried about the baby waking up and being hungry and that I would have to feed her what I just pumped to satisfy her! Just relax, maybe read a book and I think it helps if I don't watch to see if any milk is coming out. That just raises my anxiety! It does take a few minutes for the milk to come out. Then it does, then it doesn't, then it does, etc. I have a Medela PIS and you can adjust the speed of pumping. I was told that sometimes if you start at slow and bump it up a few notches, vary the speed, it feels more like your baby is nursing than the "electric baby" imposter. If your child is older now and they have never taken a bottle, you may be pumping for nothing. I waited about 6 weeks to give my DD a bottle, until she was a confident nurser, and she still refuses 3 weeks later. It is a big screaming war everytime I even bring the bottle to her lips! Any one have any advice? I tried Avent bottles (which are supposed to be the closest to the breast) and Dr. Browns. The few times that she has calmed down enough to have it in her mouth, without screaming, she chews up and down on the nipple and can't get her tongue and lips in the right spot. Very frustrating! Especially when I go back to work (max 4 hours each day) in 2 weeks! Good luck on the pumping!!!
After much experimentation and trying every bottle on the market, and I do mean EVERY bottle. . . Nuby bottles are best.
As far as pumps go. I started out with a PIS and HATED it. Then, the Avent Isis IQ Duo came out. I sold the PIS and bought the IQ Duo. That thing is a blessing. It is so so so much better than the PIS in so many ways- no pain, quicker let-down, more like baby's natural sucking, so you get more out faster.

Good Luck to both of you!!
-Brandy
Mom2Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read the op so this may be repetitive. some women can't get milk by pumping. i don't know why but I do know it happens. Before my twins latched on, I was pumping full time (45 minutes every 2-3 hours most of the time) and I didn't get enough milk for them so I had to supplement but as soon as they started latching on, I made enough milk for them right away. I only had to supplement a couple ounces once a day for a week or so. Before they latched, they were getting at least 8-10 ounces a day from supplements. Some women's bodies do better with pumping than others. Don't worry, you aren't broken!!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #26
amhmtq
Registered Users

PM'ed you - I have some extra Avent bottles if you need some to pump into. I'm still using the ones I have with nipples or lids for milk storage, but I have some orphan bottles if you'd like me to send you a couple.