Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
krickison
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok Canadians - teach me your shipping secrets!

Sell in lots and dont break them up. I am shipping 5 BG with all the inserts and doublers for 11. Its not that bad, and thats within canada. I pacakge things up and take them to the PO to have them weighed while I am out, then I can figure out how much they will be to ship when I sell them. I find that canadian mamas are willing to work with you on shipping more than US mamas, So I try to sell canadian first. It really does suck when you ship something and you end up not making anything. I sold a snappi and the nut job at the PO tried to charge me $8 or something I had only got 1 for the snappi. I thought it would sell with my lot and it didnt, it was my first selling experience...I learned the hard way. I paied less than the PO employee thought I should, and it never made it. I was lucky the mama didnt ask me for her money back, I was out the shipping and almost the money that she gave me too. sorry I kinda went off topic there...My advice is try to sell in lots....It seems to be the only way.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #12
zuma54321
Registered Users

Wow, thanks for all the responses!! Can't say I'm happy with what I read though - I was hoping I was just a newbie missing some secret the rest of you knew. I love being a Canadian, but sometimes it makes getting and doing the things you want difficult and a big hassle. For example the stroller everyone on MDC is recommending to me - I can't find in a local store!!! Argh - "just go to Target" - we don't have a Target!! I also feel bad ordering my new diapers from US stores instead of supporting Canadian WAHMs but I would rather spend $3 on shipping instead of $10.
Selling only as lots - that's a good idea. I will post my stuff when the time comes as lots and try to sell them to someone in the US. I don't think cloth diapering is very big in my area so selling them locally isn't going to work (worth a shot I guess though). I will look into the VentureOne card from Canada Post - does it cost anything to get?
Thanks everyone!
zuma54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
mikeybro1
Registered Users
seller

I'm pretty sure it didn't cost us anything for the Venture card...dh got it though...I'm sure if you just ask about it, they'll get you hooked up. I think you just have to fill out some forms. Gives you 5% off shipping expedited
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

one diaper if you lay it out flat and put it flat into a 8x10 polymailer or envelope it will ship for 1.86. 2 dipes unfortunately is 4.85but as long as it is under 500grams it will ship for this amount (usually 3 dipes) but over 500grams is 7.20 and if there is weight to the package you're looking at 10.40 for expidited
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
1boy1girl1bitty2
Registered Users
seller

adding - i live 20 mins from the us border. it is actually cheaper for me to go down there and ship back to canada! sad isn't it
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
zuma54321
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boy1girl1bitty2 View Post
one diaper if you lay it out flat and put it flat into a 8x10 polymailer or envelope it will ship for 1.86. 2 dipes unfortunately is 4.85but as long as it is under 500grams it will ship for this amount (usually 3 dipes) but over 500grams is 7.20 and if there is weight to the package you're looking at 10.40 for expidited
hmmm....I know the weight was 362 grams. wonder why it cost me $7.20 then.

So none of you Canadians do the tracking/delivery confirmation for $6 extra I am assuming?? I certainly wasn't going to pay that!!
zuma54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
krickison
Registered Users
seller

If you have the venture one card a tracking # and inssurance are included. I think that a signature is only 1 more for expedited. Also I was reading on their site today that if you buy your shipping on line you get up to 9%discount internationaly and 8% nationaly. It might be worth avoiding the po if possible. I just get them to weigh it for me when Im out then I can ship online if I want to.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #18
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Within canada, maybe try greyhound. I know they are a LOT cheaper for bigger packages.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Usually I try greyhound with a lot of packages too, to see if it would be cheaper. Sometimes it is cheaper because instead of the parcel going right to the door, the other party has to pick it up at their greyhound, and the plus is it can get there within a few days because it just hitches a ride on the passenger busses.

I try to sell cheaper things just on usedcalgary.com though, or other local sites.