Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Fertility Signs?

My midwife just gave us the to TTC whenever we are ready. However, I have always nursed for quite a while and now that I am not nursing after this birth, (well my 2 1/2 year old is nursing a couple times a day, at the recommendation of my midwife but not enough to stop ovulation since I did get pregnant nursing a whole lot more) how will I know if I am fertile?

I have never tracked ovulation or anything, as we are always "not trying/not preventing", so I really have no idea where to start. I would like to know what is going on with my body, as my heart just longs to be pregnant again after losing our baby....and so late in the game...

Any advice? I know a lot of you use NFP and know all about this....

TIA
Melissa Coffey
http://www.diaperdecisions.com

Advertisement

MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Fertility Signs?

you can get onto www.ccli.org and check out their home study course or find a teaching couple near you to have someone guide you in learning NFP.

Just generic ideas to check for fertility... MOST women ovulate around days 14-17 of their cycle. So count from the first day of your last period and that's around the time you can start observing some signs. You won't notice a thermal shift if you're don't do the temperature charting each day but you might be able to notice cervical mucus. If it's long and stretchy, that's typically fertile mucus. (you can also google the Creighton Method and find some information there). Keep an eye on your caffeine intake (if you consume it) as that'll make you have long mucus patches (meaning many days of it instead of typically 2-4 days). That'll just confuse you in finding out when you could be fertile. I typically just watch for the mucus as I'm too lazy to do all the rest and my body, for some reason, can produce alot of it.

HTH's and good luck!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Carrie
Registered Users

Oh, geez, I'm just lurking but caffeine causes long mucous patches? And here I am just thinking I'm overly fertile or something, lol! I highly recommend temping as it just takes a few seconds and will give you a really clear idea of when you are ovulating. After a few months if you notice a pattern you can drop the temps and just pay attention to the other signs. Fertility Friend is a good site if you're charting to conceive!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Go out and buy the book "taking charge of your fertility" by toni wheschler (sp)! It will tell you everything you need to know about getting pregnant! They also have a website with a message board that is just awesome www.ovusoft.com ...

www.fertilityfriend.com is a free place you can chart online then there is the ovusoft one, which i use and I like better but its a one time fee for it.. (but its free to join the boards)
Old 05-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

I used NFP to get pregnant this last time and wat I did was watch my body. The doctor told me that when I get a lot of watery mucus that that is when I am ovulating and that when it gets thicker that is at the end of ovulation. Let me tell you how well it worked. After a few months of observing this, I told my husband this is the day and so we were intimate that day and think once the next day. 3 weeks later we found out we were pregnant. At 20 weeks an ultrasound showed twins! I guess it really was the day. LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 AM   #6
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie
Oh, geez, I'm just lurking but caffeine causes long mucous patches?
Yes. In some women it can...and what I mean by mucus patches is that it's not the length of a mucus string.. it's the length of time of mucus (example, instead of having three days of fertile mucus signs, you'll have 6-10). It can throw some women off, especially beginners.

Just like taking benadryl or any other medication that will dry up snotty noses...it'll alter normal mucus patches. The medication doesn't take note of "snotty nose only" it goes after "mucus". kwim?

I know when I started out reading my mucus signs, I thought the "fertile period" would NEVER end. Then I read about how caffeine will effect the length of time for the mucus patches and I am a MASSIVE Mt. Dew drinker (own stock in the stuff, kwim??). I cut out Mt. Dew and all other caffeine products for two months and wouldn't you know it... my mucus patch came down to four days.

The crazy things we learn about our bodies, eh???
Old 05-08-2006, 07:13 AM   #7
Carrie
Registered Users

That makes total sense. No wonder I though my "fertile period" was lasting over a week, lol.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree luv2be, get a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility! Its is the best book I have ever read. It has helped to to understand so much about my body, fertility signs (Basal body temps, cervical mucous, cervix position) and it teaches you to read them and KNOW when you ovualte, not guess.

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
MelissaCoffey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. Going to find that book!!
MelissaCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

I did not know that about caffiene!

I've gotten 4 AF since my last baby - but no real EW stringy mucus - just more watery. what's up with that?

I don't drink a lot of coke - I drink about 1 a day on average when I go see hubby at restaurant.

Can I still get pregnant without EW mucus - I know that I'm O'ing because I've used OPK's and temping and I have a clear temp shift the last 2 cycles.