Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
potty learning...having issues...

dd is 2.5 years old, I have never pushed the PLing thing, although it would be sweet not to have 2 in diapers! I'd ask her now and then if she wanted to sit on the potty and most of the time she'd say no. Once in a while she'd say yes, sit for like 20 seconds and get up (once she got up and walked to the corner of the bathroom and peed on the floor! stinker!)...

so I just tried to let her lead the way mostly. Lately, since I showed her that her potty seat could also go on the big toilet, she's been way interested in sitting there. How the heck do I get her to pee there though? She seems to want to...watches herself waiting to hear the sound, ya know?

I think that once she does it one time, and can feel what its like and hear it, she'll "get it", kwim? I just can't figure out how to get her to do it once. I'm not in a huge rush, I just see her interest and don't want to miss this opportunity.

MIL said to run warm water over her va-jay-jay as we call it...so I tried that...she liked it too much! lol She'd ask for it again and again, but it didn't help her to pee, I think she just liked how it tickled! I told her "you do it" meaning go pee, and she bent over and was spitting on herself to make the warm water go over her again

So...any tips on what I can do to get her to actually go that first time?

Advertisement

Julie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: potty learning...having issues...

Can you get her to the toilet right away in the morning? That's how I got my girls to figure out that they could pee in the toilet.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My son is 2 1/2 too and just isn't ready. He will tell me sometime when he is peeing in his diaper, but he can't seem to figure it out before.

When I ask him about peeing in the toilet he now tells me everyday, "Maybe tomorow" lol.

No advice....I have 2 in diapers and it's not that bad...ya know since we like diaper laundry and all.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoo3 View Post
Can you get her to the toilet right away in the morning? That's how I got my girls to figure out that they could pee in the toilet.
I will try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
My son is 2 1/2 too and just isn't ready. He will tell me sometime when he is peeing in his diaper, but he can't seem to figure it out before.

When I ask him about peeing in the toilet he now tells me everyday, "Maybe tomorow" lol.

No advice....I have 2 in diapers and it's not that bad...ya know since we like diaper laundry and all.
Maybe tomorrow...that's cute!

I just want to jump on this if her interest in sitting on the potty is a sign that she might be ready? Gosh, I have no idea! lol
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you can keep her occupied in the bathroom long enough....give her plenty to drink, plenty of snacks (salty) that would quench her thirst and make her want to drink more...etc. the soonest you see she needs to go put her on the toilet. Another thing I learned is to not ask her if she wants to but just reiterate that when we pee now we don't go in our diaper, we go on the potty or in the big toilet with the padded seat. I read a lot of cool things in toddlerwise on potty training. Some of it we do and some of we don't...we are taking a very relaxed approach until he's completely back to normal from having surgery. We started back this past weekend and so far so good. he's still a bit confused though he wanted me to put a diaper on him so he could go #2. I refused to to that so we worked over an hour and he finally went #2 in his potty chair. you can always offer a reward...something you know she'd like. If we make it to the potty chair, then we get xyz....but only if we go potty (not any other time or else they learn to expect it any time). Special potty treats. Now that ds's 2 week period is up tomorrow for a strick soft diet I'm going to get some m&Ms or some kind of treat for him. My problem is i'm waiting on some trainers to come in from CA and at day care he's partly in cloth and partly in sposies...if he's in a sposie he'll automatically go and not think 2x about it. would a reward chart work for her? I do think once she goes the first time, then it will start to click and she'll want to do more. That's how ds did with the potty chair until he got diarrea and then the sposies went on till he felt better. I'm not cleaning poop off the floor.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the tips Lisa! I do have a "potty present" for her...and she knows about it. She also knows that she'll get it if she actually goes pee on the potty - which is why we've got the sudden interest lol I will make a reward chart too - can't hurt!

She's still in cloth diapers (pockets and PFs mostly) but I bought a pattern to make her some trainers from recycled t shirts - I'm hoping that helps too! I wish I had the guts to just do underwear at this point - she'd love wearing them, but I told dh...only if we had leather furniture and hardwood floors! lol
Old 03-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hayden would ask to go to the bathroom and then just hop off and say he was done. We started PL this week though and its going great. Don't rush it though. We only tried again because he was definately ready. One thing I did on the first couple of days before he got the hang of it was give something for trying. He would try just to get an m&m but by the next day he was actually using the toilet (he would get 2 m&ms for pee and 3 for poop). Now we are down to nothing for pee and 2 m&m's for poop (he's having a lot of trouble with that right now) and we just started 5 days ago. When they are ready it happens fast. We were at the mall on the third day and I put a diaper on him just in case. He never used it he went to the toilet every time even though we were there for 6 hours. It will happen don't worry!
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
nitewyngs
Registered Users

My Mood:

This sounds all too familiar. In order for the LO to go to PreSchool she had to be potty trained. So at 2 1/2 we really got working on it. The potty seat or little potty was worhtless to us. She would not go near there. However I took her to our bathroom and showed her the BIG potty. I told her, BIG GIRLS use this type of potty and someday you will be a big girl. Well she did not like the someday part. She took to the toilet for number 1 like a duck took to water. She would tell us, I have to go pee-pee in big potty. Number 2. Oh I shudder at remembering number 2!!!

She would scream. Literally turn red in the face. But she only wanted to do number two in her pull-up in a corner! It took us about 2 months and a willingness to put panties on her at home and when we went out all the time. There were several accidents but she did not like the feel of the number 2 sticking to her while I frantically searched for a bathroom in the middle of a crowded mall.

So basically... PATIENCE. And the willingness not to travel further than 30 minutes away while the LO is being potty trained and is in her big girl panties. I will not lie, I cried. He cried. The LO cried. But after two months she went by herself at home and on the road.
nitewyngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
JeffAngie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard of this book called "potty training in a day" (not sure whowrote it) I believe that is the tital. It is alos mentioned in the baby wise book or maybe the toddler wise book by Gary Ezzo.
I have heard that people have had a lot of success doing it that way.
I may look into it myself. My DD just turned 2 and I am trying to PT her as well. My son was so easy but she has no intrest in the potty.
Angie
JeffAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks everyone!