Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Getting baby's eyes checked

Hey mamas!

I'm naturally concerned about my baby's eye developement since her grandma is blind due to Glaucoma that was diagnosised too late. It's really a sad story. Anyways, I heard of an an organization called InfantSee that gives babies free eye exams. It's recommended that an eye doctor do an exam when baby is 6-12 months so just in case there is a problem they can do early intervention. Many common issues can be resolved if found early.

The website is
http://www.infantsee.org/

Advertisement

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Getting baby's eyes checked

Thanks for the link!
Danae wears glasses and got hers when she was 5 months old, although she wont keep them on so we put them on her for 15 minutes at a time throughout the day.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for posting this..I usually try to remind all of my groups/boards about this every few months....it's a great preogram!
We got our dd's eye's checked thropugh the program (hey, it was free!) when she was 11 months old.
there really is no subsitute for this...the eye screening the ped does in the office is NOT an eye exam.....
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I totally agree. Many people overlook the eye check up for their babies because they figure that everything is developing just right.

bobandjess99- Your right! The dr/ped is not giving the baby an eye exam. They are only looking for gross abmormailites.

My DD is 4 months and I'm not sure if I should have her checked at 6 months or wait a little longer...like 9 or so. She's showing normal signs of development like tracking objects and such. But either way, I will get her an eye exam before she's 12 months.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox- Just curious- how did you know that Danae needed eyeglasses? I've always wondered how they can tell what their vision really is and what to correct it to.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just wanna throw in that the eye exam that the ped does in the office...or rather I should say the casual looking-over of the eyes (that's our ped at least) is NOT a good exam to be trusted anyway. My youngest has an abnormality in one eye and was completely obvious to me from birth....I brought it up at I think his 6 week checkup and the doc took FOREVER to find it (as I said, it was completely obvious to me..I didn't think it was hard to see at all)....he tried to tell me there was nothing abnormal until he finally saw it and we've had to see a pediatric opthamologist ever since (we go regularly for checkups to make sure it's not interfering with his vision).