Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
When to go to the ER/Urgent Care

Drake (13 months) fell while walking and I think he hit his mouth on a megablock (think huge lego)...he poured blood for a short time and it actually didn't take long to stop bleeding..and it doesn't seem to be causing any pain...but what I can see of it (and it's not very good because he's 13 months - very uncooperative and hyper)...it looks like a HUGE cut..like skin hanging down over his teeth...not bleeding though and he's eating/drinking fine...happened about 30-40 minutes go (bleeding stopped within 10-15min).

Should I take him in? Should I make an appt for tomorrow? Should i just watch it (which is difficult because he won't cooperate)?

My older son hurt the outside of his mouth and they basically said that since it'd stopped bleeding - it was fine and only a scratch..definitely nothing to create a scar...I KNEW it was deeper than that and he now has a scar that affects his smile.

What should I do?

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When to go to the ER/Urgent Care

Does your health insurance have a free nurse line? Since it is in his mouth and it is not bleeding they will probably let it be. But I'm not sure because I don't have experience with an in the mouth wound. I would try calling a nurse line and see what they have to say. It is more helpful than calling your doctor's office sometimes because the nurse line doesn't get more money if you go to the doctor but the doctor does, does that make sense? Unless you have an awesome doctor and they don't try to make you come in when it is not necessary.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

You could call your Dr's office, but most likely they will say it will heal on its own. Mouth injuries heal VERY quickly. He will most likely be okay. If he'll take it, try to offer him an ice cube/popsicle/etc. to suck on. That will help it to stop swelling, and make it feel better!

Good luck mama!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you everybody