Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #11
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When Family Members Attack... (CIO)

Love the article. I think it is so sad that this was written in 1998 and it is 8 years later and CIO is still so mainstream.

AND if you mention to other people that you don't believe in CIO they try to shut you up and tell you it's not fair to talk about it because they shouldn't have to feel guilty.

Sigh.

Advertisement

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy
because they shouldn't have to feel guilty.
That should tell them that what they're doing is less than desirable.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
mommabug42006
Registered Users
seller

I printed that and I am mailing it out to my MIL and sister. Both believe in feberizing a child. THANKS
mommabug42006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Very interesting article, I agree for the most part, and I think it's true that soemthing in us is sort of 'ingrained' to teach our kids to be independent early on. Although, this kind of discussion makesme feel kind of bad...because we did 'CIO' for one night...only one night though because after that our DS went right to sleep every night since. Before that, none of us, including DS, were getting any sleep because both myself and DS are very light sleepers and we would keep waking each other up if we were next to or near each other...or in the same room even. Anyone else have this experience? We don't spank or anything, I although wouldn't say we are AP, we do love and cuddle on our DS in every way when ever possible, all day if necessary. But the whole co-sleeping thing just didn't work for us.

One thing I think is interesting is that it comments on just Americans. My DH is from Holland, and we don't know anyone there that co-sleeps. Maybe it's not just Americans, but western culture (well..that said...I think saying that it is either of those is maybe over-generalizing a bit...this board is an example of how there are lots of folks out there that do co-sleep, etc.).
Old 09-18-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what I tell them. I tell them that if they believe in what they're doing and they don't think it causes their child any harm then they don't have anything to feel guilty about but others have a right to share and voice their opinions too.

If you are feeling guilt there is usually a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone
That should tell them that what they're doing is less than desirable.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #16
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandIsp
none of us, including DS, were getting any sleep because both myself and DS are very light sleepers and we would keep waking each other up if we were next to or near each other...or in the same room even. Anyone else have this experience? . But the whole co-sleeping thing just didn't work for us.
I do feel you on the sleeping in the same room thing, my son has NEVER slept good in my room. It was my plan from the start to have him sleep in there with me, but I guess I must snore because everytime I would fall asleep he would wake up crying, so out I moved him in his own room and viola, he slept better. Only waking up 2-3 times a night instead of 10-15. He has never been one to co-sleep either, I tried to trick him into sleeping in with me on weekends and he'd rather pull my hair or get into the crawling position. Plus I am a toss and turn freak, my hubby get's irritated cause I can't stay still. So yup I feel you. I just can't bring myself to let my son CIO at all. It breaks my heart when I hear him calling for me. I wish I could find something to help me though, anything but hearing him cry (or drugs ) One day I know I'll look back and wonder what I was in a hurry for and long to go back to the night where I was awakened by his cries and to rock him and feed him back to sleep. That is what I tell myself every night @ 2am when he wakes up.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #17
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marelle4381
I do feel you on the sleeping in the same room thing, my son has NEVER slept good in my room. It was my plan from the start to have him sleep in there with me, but I guess I must snore because everytime I would fall asleep he would wake up crying, so out I moved him in his own room and viola, he slept better. Only waking up 2-3 times a night instead of 10-15. He has never been one to co-sleep either, I tried to trick him into sleeping in with me on weekends and he'd rather pull my hair or get into the crawling position...
I have a friend in my API group whose dd is a fitful sleeper. Getting her to sleep had been problematic - like two hours of holding, rocking, nursing, screaming. EVERY.SINGLE.NIGHT. One night they decided to change up their routine. They went through their usual routine up to the holding/rocking point. They took her into their room and laid her down in her side carred crib. She fussed for about 30 seconds and conked out. In the two hour hold/rock/nurseathon, she would cry and scream to the point of hiccupping, coughing, shaking, etc. Thirty seconds of fussing without a single tear was far better on all than the 2 hour event of previous months. They started laying her down at night like that every night and after the first night she did not even whimper. She just laid there for a second, gurgled/cooed/talked, and off to sleep she went.

The mom asked if it was AP... my thought was... you're listening to your dd and meeting her needs. Sure is.

Last edited by Knittress; 09-19-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #18
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone
I Thirty seconds of fussing without a single tear was far better on all than the 2 hour event of previous months. They started laying her down at night like that every night and after the first night she did not even whimper. She just laid there for a second, gurgled/cooed/talked, and off to sleep she went.

The mom asked if it was AP... my thought was... you're listening to your dd and meeting her needs. Sure is.

That was my dd. At a very young age she refused to be rocked to sleep. If me or my husband held her she wanted to be awake to play with us no matter how tired she was. We started a bedtime rountine at 3 months and put her down awake in her crib. Best thing we ever did.

I wish she would sleep with us everyonce in a while.....maybe when she is older.

Whether you are CIO or anti-cio, you just need to listen to your kid and findout what is best for them, and you.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote