Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #321
cnba90
Registered Users

Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Okay, I'm bumping this old post, so sorry, but I just wanted to say that I tried a few of the recipes (I printed off about 20) and some are good and some aren't so great, but has anyone tried the cheeseburger casserole recipe? I think it needs some kind of soup or something...ours was really dry and the cheese and hamburger that was on top burned. Oh well, live and learn. But I did really like the one skillet pasta meal and my DH really liked the Broccoli chicken, which is amazing, because he's the world's pickiest eater!

Advertisement

Cloth diapering Mama to Brock, born May 28, 2007...and expecting #2 March 19, 2010!
We're "living like no one else so later we can live like no one else!"
cnba90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #322
Raspberry's mom
Registered Users

I love this thread. I have copied and pasted about 50 recipes to a word document so I can keep it handier. (My DH doesn't like it when I cook with the computer open on the counter next to me- I can't imagine why ) I still need to go through my recipes and find some good ones to add!
Raspberry's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #323
crashintome
Registered Users

My Mood:

Please, keep adding to this mama's!! I've saved 17 so far & I can't wait to try them!!
crashintome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #324
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've gotten many great ideas from this thread and I want to share one of mine.

French Toast Casserole

1 loaf whole wheat bread ($1)
8 eggs ($1.50)
3 cups milk ($.75)

cinnamon
sugar

Mix together some sugar and cinnamon for topping. Tear bread into cubes and place half in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Mix the eggs and milk together and pour half of mixture over the bread and sprinkle with topping mix. Place the rest of the bread cubes in pan and repeat egg mixture and topping mix. Cover and refridgerate overnight (or over the day). Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes. Serve with butter and syrup.

This is a great way for your whole family to be able to eat french toast at the same time! It reheats great as well. I usually cut it into servings and put each one in a freezer bag once it has cooled and then my DD can have french toast any morning she wants. Just thaw in microwave and it's better than the eggo waffles...and cheaper

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #325
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I've gotten many great ideas from this thread and I want to share one of mine.

French Toast Casserole

1 loaf whole wheat bread ($1)
8 eggs ($1.50)
3 cups milk ($.75)

cinnamon
sugar

Mix together some sugar and cinnamon for topping. Tear bread into cubes and place half in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Mix the eggs and milk together and pour half of mixture over the bread and sprinkle with topping mix. Place the rest of the bread cubes in pan and repeat egg mixture and topping mix. Cover and refridgerate overnight (or over the day). Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes. Serve with butter and syrup.

This is a great way for your whole family to be able to eat french toast at the same time! It reheats great as well. I usually cut it into servings and put each one in a freezer bag once it has cooled and then my DD can have french toast any morning she wants. Just thaw in microwave and it's better than the eggo waffles...and cheaper

MMmmmm, that sounds so yummy!!!!
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #326
osmom3kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lemon Orzo with Chicken
1 lb chicken cut up into bite size pieces (I stock up when it is $1.99 a lb)
1 lemon
3 tbs of parsley (I use fresh b/c I have a in house herb garden but you can use dried but only use 1tbs)
1 clove of garlic minced
1 package of orzo pasta
4 tbs of olive oil
salt and pepper

Zest the whole lemon and put it into a bowl with 2tbs of olive oil and the parsley, set aside. Place the cut up chicken, the juice of the lemon, the clove of garlic, 2 tbs of olive oil, pepper and salt to taste. Let marinade for 30 min. Follow the direction on the orzo. Saute the chicken in a pan till done. When orzo is done, mix with the lemon zest, olive oil, and parsley. Add cooked chicken and enjoy!
I usually make what ever frozen veggies I have on hand to go with it.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #327
normajean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merolu View Post
Especially in summer, my family loves this one-

1 package uncooked pasta
1 pound chicken breast (or seafood like shrimp and crab, but that costs more $)
a small head of broccoli
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbonzo beans
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 cucumber

Ok this recipe looks yummy- but have you seen the cost of bell peppers lately?! They are VERY expensive, about $1-2 EACH here in NC I'll be glad when summer gets here and we can start planting again!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #328
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think this fits here. I got it from a Taste Of Home Casseroles Cookbook. You can also find it online here. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Fries--N--Beef-Bake
I changed a few things when I made it, like used corn instead of peas. And brown gravy instead of the cream soup. And no cheese, because DS is allergic.

Fries 'N' Beef Bake

SERVINGS: 6-8
TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound frozen crinkle-cut French fries, thawed
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, undiluted
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, layer half of the French fries, peas and meat mixture. Repeat layers.
In a bowl, combine the soup, water, ketchup, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, marjoram, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #329
redone5683
Banned

I was so excited when I saw this thread b/c I try SO hard to make the most of our food money since we don't have hardly any! But I was disappointed when I saw post after post of recipes laden with MSG filled foods! ALL creamed soups, store bought stock/broth, worchestire sauce, soy sauce, packaged flavored rices and pastas, and several other things that aren't coming to mind right now are full of MSG. It's very bad for you, and even worse for a LO who's brain is growing so rapidly. You can make broth easily, and you can make a rue for cream sauces instead of the creamed soups. Once I started reading what was in the crap I was eating I changed the way I cook. (I also found out today that there is MSG in some vaccines! WHY!?) Anyway, that's my $0.02, I'll step off my soapbox now...
redone5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #330
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chicken Stuffing bake

1 lb chicken (breasts or other peices)
Box of stuffing
Cream Of chicken soup
Cheese

Make the stuffing in a 9 x 13 pan. Lay the chicken in the center on top of it. pour the soup over the chicken then sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350* until chicken is done...about 45 min. for breasts.

This is hubbys fav.

Also sloppy joes

1 lb hamburger
1/2 can tomato soup
1/2 can french onion soup
brown sugar-3 Tablespoons
a squirt of ketchup