Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
eoinsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Carseat question....

I am wondering about inserts or padding you can put into a carseat that is not that comfortable for long (like 8 hour) trips. I don't think the seat we have for Eoin is that comfy as he seems to get a sore butt after a few hours. He is in a forward facing seat. Is there any safe products that people know of, like say a sheepskin that you can put inside the seat? I am just thinking out loud here, since all our trips to see relatives are at least 6 hours +. I don't know if we can buy a new seat for him right now, but suggestions on more comfortable seats would be good too. Right now he has a Safety First convertible seat (goes from 22 - 80 lbs, a traditional to backless booster).

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Re: Carseat question....

No, you can not use aftermarket products in a carseat.

On a side note, you don't have a convertible seat, you have a combination seat. Convertibles rearface from 5-30(some 33-35lbs) then forward face up to 80lbs. Combination seats forward face only, then convert to a booster.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
brooklynn
Registered Users
seller

Simply, no. No after-market products are okay to use with carseats or boosters. If it comes with the seat, then yes, it's fine... because it's been crash-tested with the seat. Otherwise, there's no way to tell how it will effect the performance of the seat/harness in an accident.
And it sounds like you might have a combo seat if it goes FF to a booster mode... unless you have a 3-in-1 (RF-FF-Booster). How old is DS?

You can use things over the child/harness, though... as long as it doesn't interfere with the harness or installation. Like rolled up blankets around the head or on the side of the body, a blanket over the body once the harness is buckled, etc. Anything that goes behind or under the body (like those Bundle Me covers) are not okay. It's like wearing a coat that's too thick. It will allow for too much slack in the harness. The ideal being that the child's body is as close to the seat as possible and the carseat is as close the vehicle seat as possible.

Last edited by brooklynn; 03-19-2008 at 09:03 AM.
brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
eoinsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is a combination seat, not the convertible one -thanks! So any suggestions on a more comfy seat? This one just seems to have really thin padding and not that great for long trips.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
brooklynn
Registered Users
seller

You could call the manufacturer and see if they have any new covers for sale... with the idea of a new cover being a little more plush than one that's been sat in for several months. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions. Sorry. Maybe another mama/tech has a secret up their sleeve.

Good luck!