Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
bethiecow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
"I'll tell you when you're older."

My baby just got a hold of a mama pad package I got in the mail and pulled it out. I figured no harm, it's new, keeps him entertained for a while.

One of my five-year-old twins asks what it is that the baby is playing with.

I tell him it's just a pad.

A pad for what?

A pad for girls to use.

To do what?

Well, it's for - I mean sometimes girls have - ya know, I'll tell you when you're older.

I never thought I'd be one of those moms who said that. And I just did. But if I start THAT conversation, it opens up a whole new conversation. About S-E-X. And I never thought I'd be one of those moms who shied away from an honest conversation about sex with my kids. But I just did.

So my son asked if when they're older meant when they're eight. I said sure.

What should I do though? Tell him (well, both twins) about sex, girls, periods, the whole messy truth? Because everything they learn right now comes spewing out of their mouths at any given moment. I can just imagine them "educating" their Sunday School pals at church.

Advertisement

bethiecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "I'll tell you when you're older."

soooo glad I am not to this yet! I would just wait until they're a little older...don't want them sharing their new found knowledge with the waitress at Red Robin KWIM?
good luck in your decision
Old 03-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
DivineNature
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you have to be age appropriate. Five is too young to understand all the internal workings of a woman. They honestly aren't looking for a deep, life altering answer.
I'd just say "sometimes mommy puts it in her undies to keep them clean." He'll probably say "ooOOoooh!" and move on.

I know there is a book that has age appropriate ways to teach kids as the grow up. Does anyone have the name of it? I might need to google it. My oldest is 10 and I'm feeling the need to have "the talk" with him!

ETA: I wouldn't bring it up again until/unless he does. But that's just me.
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!

Last edited by DivineNature; 03-21-2008 at 03:29 PM.
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineNature View Post
I think you have to be age appropriate. Five is too young to understand all the internal workings of a woman. They honestly aren't looking for a deep, life altering answer.
I'd just say "sometimes mommy puts it in her undies to keep them clean." He'll probably say "ooOOoooh!" and move on.

I know there is a book that has age appropriate ways to teach kids as the grow up. Does anyone have the name of it? I might need to google it. My oldest is 10 and I'm feeling the need to have "the talk" with him!

ETA: I wouldn't bring it up again until/unless he does. But that's just me.
I agree.

My ds (6) asked what a mama pad is-of course I'm sewing them at the dinner table all the time. Both boys ask if they are diapers.

What I told my ds is that girls sometimes have leaking in their underwear. He said ok. I'll tell him a little more next time he asks.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
melissab1011
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

my dd has asked that before..more like "whats that mama, what are you doing..is that your diaper?" obviously she isn't ready to be explained to yet but I had to laugh! and share..a friend has a 2 year old..who likes sitting on the potty..well she was sitting there for a while and her mom looked over *she was putting on makeup while keeping an eye on her* and the two year old had a tampon and was trying to figure out where to put it like her mama..oh if only she had a camera!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
mommyfrog
Registered Users

My 5 year old ds got into his 13 year old sister's room and stuck pads all over the walls. When she came home, she was pretty irritated and told him they were for girls' vaginas. Now he won't touch them!! He didn't ask for any more details either. Just ran away. GROOOOOSSSSS!! And my 3 year old dd got a hold of some condoms. Don't know where she had them stashed but the older kids must ahve told her they were for penises. One day she came in my room with a "present" behind her back. She pulled it out..."It's a penis thing mom." I really need to hide those somewhere other than my dresser drawer.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

this thread
Old 03-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Ok, this is bad but once DH, DS and I were in Target shopping and I had to pick up some tampons. I told DH I needed "tamps" and being a turd he asks me (loudly) "tamps? what's that?" and smiling. So then of course DS is saying "yeah Mom, what's tamps? huh? huh?" (He was 9 at the time.) So I told DS it was "girl stuff" and to nevermind. Well, DH thought it was funny to see me squirm and he kept prodding, which made DS ask more so I finally turned around to them both and said "Girls bleed out of their vaginas once a month. It's called their period. 'Tamps' is short for tampons, which is what girls sometimes use during their period. Any more questions?" They didn't ask anymore.
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first son asked when he was probably just a little more than 2 years old and I told him it was like a mommy bandaid. That satisfied him and now I don't have a period anymore..so we'll see if it comes up again
Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
mommyto2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh I tell my oldest that atleast once a month I swear momma can't use the bathroom without someone there!

anyways I use a diva cup...and I've had her ask what that is...umm I'll tell you when your older! and please leave it alone! (I had it on the counter to dry and she wanted to play with it )