Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

OUCH! First tooth! Does hurt!

DD is 8 months old and her first tooth just popped through last Saturday. She has bitten me with her gums constantly, but that was no big deal. But today that tooth has really moved in quite a bit and it HURTS! Everytime she latches on before she gets her tongue out she bites me, or when she pulls her head back she scratches that tooth on my nipple. What can I do??? The outside edge of my nipples are already raw and the tooth just came thru 4 days ago!

Advertisement

EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Re: OUCH! First tooth! Does hurt!

Geez, I wish I had had 8 tooth free months with my dd! LOL She had TWO teeth by the time she was 4 months old!!

She just bit me last week (there's a thread about it around here somewhere). It broke a bunch of blood vessels and caused a minor yeast infection. It also caused an unbelievable amount of pain that I'm just now starting to get relief from!!

So...watch out for those little chompers! Be sure to pay close attention while you're nursing. Generally you can catch the baby right before they bite because they have to move their tongue out of the way first.

Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Both my boys got teeth at 4 1/2 months!! DS2 has bit me a few times, but nothing major. Mainly it was me not paying attention. They can only bite if they are not actively nursing (as I am sure you know), so I let him stay there a bit too long and he said hey I'm not hungry anymore!

Once someone told me to pull baby close into your breast when they do that...basically smothering them. She said oh it will only take doing that about two times and they won't bite anymore, it really freaks them out. I said yeah if someone cut of your oxygen a few times you would stop biting too.

Anyway the first thing is that you allowed her to bite when she had no teeth..can't change that now though! Try pulling her off the breast when she does that and telling her softly but sternly no or stop (or whatever you feel comfertable with) hurt mommy. If it is before nursing don't let her nurse for about 5 minutes then offer it to her again. If it is after then say stop/no/other hurt mommy and put her down. Usually that will work!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was just coming over here to write about this! My ds' teeth came in about a week before he turned 4 months and he has been quite the biter lately!

yowch.

I'm just praying he doesn't break the skin...

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I'm kind of at a loss of what to do, I mean, she just got a tooth 4 days ago and my nipple is red and raw and scratched not to mention her latch completely changed (probably from the relief of the teething pressure)
Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
sheandaru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like kellymom's suggestions: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

sheandaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I don't know that I have any great suggestions. . . but I can sympathize. When DD's top teeth came in, she didn't bite, but just bared down a little much, I ended up with open wounds and bleeding. Then they eventually callused over and now it's not painful anymore. But man, for a while, it was SO PAINFUL I would basically lay there gritting my teeth and sticking my fingernails in my leg to try to not think about the pain!!
One thing that helped was to situate her differently each time so that her teeth were positioned differently and not on the same spot every time!
HTH!!

Good luck!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sorry to say, but you may just have to wait it out. when micah got his teeth his latch changed for a while, but it didn't last long. it felt like forever at the time though!!

you can take her off as soon as she bites down, telling her 'no bite', and setting her down on teh floor for a min, then offering her the breast again. she'll get the hint. time and patience will go a long way. i hope she's a quick learner for your sake!!
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

She is doing better already! Thanks ladies, she also got a second tooth, probably why she was still chewing a bit those first days. My nipples are getting more used to it too I think.