Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone else have a bf baby with excess spit-up?

DD was a major spitter-upper. I used recieving blankets as burp cloths, went through 3-4 a day plus 3-4 outfits for her and shirts for me. Bibs were a permanent part of her wardrobe, but they had to be big ones.
Anyway, we ended up narrowing it down to no dairy for me. Eventually I could have one dairy item a day, and then it got better at about 6-7 mo. We also used soy formula for a while and that helped a little. (We BF and FF, depending on who was home.)
I'd try cutting out ALL dairy (be sure to read your ingredients) for a week, and see if that doesn't make a difference. Good Luck!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
fayth
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS used to spit up about 75% of what he took it. We figured out it was an oversupply issue and he was just eating too much. And since he tummy hurt, he wanted to eat more. Vicious cycle...

To fix it, my lactation consultant advised nursing on one side only for 3 hours than switch. At any point during that 3 hour period he could nurse on the one side. Within a week or 2 he was doing much much better.
fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the advice, mamas
Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #14
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

DD was another "happy spitter." Very messy, but she was gaining great. She went from 50th %ile in weight and height at birth, to 90th in height and 70th in weight ever since. So I know she managed to keep some down. But a lot came back up too! I remember holding her and she would spit up so forceful, it would arc over my arms and splash on the floor. It never seemed to bother her though so I didn't worry. And around 5 months it just stopped.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's a tad on the older side for this, but it could be pyloric stenosis. My son had it and that sounds a lot like what you're describing. How is he doing with wetting diapers?
See http://children.webmd.com/tc/pyloric-stenosis-topic-overview
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
starryeyedgyal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD#2 spits up a lot! I think its due to overeating; I have a very forceful let down and I can see her trying to keep up with the "downpour" of milk. She and I both have figured it out now though. She either pulls away when my milk lets down or I do it for her. She still spits up, but not as much as she used to.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #17
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
DD was another "happy spitter." Very messy, but she was gaining great. She went from 50th %ile in weight and height at birth, to 90th in height and 70th in weight ever since. So I know she managed to keep some down. But a lot came back up too! I remember holding her and she would spit up so forceful, it would arc over my arms and splash on the floor. It never seemed to bother her though so I didn't worry. And around 5 months it just stopped.
this sounds just like grace! oh my the laundry.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
physlet
Registered Users

In case it's a digestion problem, have you thought about trying probiotics? Just a thought.
physlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow, you mamas have given me a lot to think about. I do not think I have an oversupply, I do not think it is a let down issue, I am trying to have him eat sitting up, although it is a little harder when we need to try and stay in a semi-football hold we are also trying to burp more often, but it has always been a little hard to get one from him till the end of the feeding. He seems to be wetting fine and is gaining weight, I just get frustrated having to feed so often and clean him up! But if that is what little honey needs, then that is what I am here for. The spit-up does seem a little better the last couple days, but we will keep working on it.

Also to the mama who said he may be a little old for that one problem that requires surgery, (Sorry I should have quoted you) he was a preemie so it could have developed later, but I don't know if it is anything that serious. We do have a doctors appt next week, so if the spit-up hasn't improved using some of the ideas you mamas have given me, I will def mention it.
Thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #20
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby spit up multiple times after every feeding and she was BF...We tried to keep a bib on her and have spit clothes in every room.

A great cleaner to clean it from carpeting and couches: mixture of 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water! Eco friendly too!

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote