Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Another detergent question--hard water

I've read on here, in different threads, that less is more when it comes to how much detergent to use when washing your dipes (or anything else for that matter). We have very hard water. With that in mind, do you still only use a little?

We've been using Sun with baking soda and then vinegar in the rinse. I'm not into payng a lot of money for Charlies or Allens, etc. I don't want to have to order detergent over the internet. I'm thinking of beginning to use Dawn only---with hard water, how much would I use?

TIA, mamas!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
judahmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Another detergent question--hard water

We have "moderately hard" water (I contacted the water dept. people) and I have to use almost as much regular detergent (Purex) as I do with clothes. I tried using 1/2 the regular amount, but the diapers were smelling.

However, I just stripped all my prefolds and covers (I've been using them just over a month and they just last week started stinking when peed in). I bought some Borax and I'm thinking of adding that to the wash with regular detergent but REDUCING the amount of Purex I add. The Borax should soften the water so that I don't need as much detergent. I've also been thinking of switching to Dawn exclusively, but I don't know how much to use. I'm worried it would be so super bubbly and require multiple rinses with each wash, not just when you strip 'em.

Hope that helps.
judahmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well...with really hard water I'm finding you need to add a bit more detergent. So, like with Allen's I do about 2/3 - 3/4 scoop and not 1/2 scoop.

Also, Calgon water softner is really good. That helps me the most. I just had to play around with my system again to see what would work best.

Some use washing soda and Simply/Simple Green. I might try that but right now don't have the need to.

I get All Fabric Bleach from SA8 (Quixtar). It's a non-chlorine bleach. I'm going to start adding this in once a week to get rid of any bacterial buildup that may be happening.

I think a lot of the probs come from the dipe needing to be sanitized, too.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
hauser
Registered Users
seller

We have hard water and I use charlies soap and have recently started using a nappy sanitizer I got here in england. THey both go in an no problems. Charlies soap is only $.16 per load and has free shipping! But, there are plently of others out there too. We just don't have a walmart or anything to buy from!! I second the calgon!! I use that now and them to keep my dipes soft!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I use just dawn in my traditional top loader. I have pretty hard water, too. I usually use Calgon water softener (1 capful) and add about 3/4 to 1 tablespoon of Dawn (one good squirt), then I can add more if I need to. I did have a time when the blue Dawn didn't get rinsed off very well when I just squirted the Dawn on top of the clothes. Now after I prerinse, I move the clothes over and squirt the Dawn into the tub (not onto the clothes) and sort of mix it around with my hand (does this make sense?) so it doesn't get concentrated on one item. (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm watching Myth Busters and writing this, too.)
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mamas! Sounds like I have some figuring out to do. Sounds like I need to add some kind of water softener to the dipe loads and then play around with the detergent to figure out what will work. Thanks again!!