Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
anabellee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stop pumping at work?

WOAH! so what's up with the soy? both my boys are allergic to dairy products (goat milk included) and ds1 has been drinking soy for 2 years now (after weaning). ds2 still nurses. I've been struggling to stop pumping. ds2 will not drink from a bottle/cup and I work full time. my brother watches them and sometimes he will take ebm from him but not too often. right now, I'm still pumping 1-2 times in and 8hr shift and just storing the milk. I would love to stop pumping but am afraid I'll lose my supply. ds2 nurses on demand when we're together. I just HATE pumping. I've been doing it for 4 mths now (I just started working again in December after staying home for 2.5yrs). I'm really interested in the soy thing though...

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

... this is a total aside from my initial question ... but I'm responding anyway ...

The hormones in cow's milk aren't good either. Besides, your information focuses on soy formula. I'm talking a little bit of soy milk because that's what we use in our household. Besides, I think the idea that children have to drink so much milk each day to be healthy is propaganda. There are lots of ways to get calcium in a diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbaby07 View Post
First off giving him even a little breastmilk is a good thing BUT!! Soy milk is not good for boys!

SOY MILK TO INFANT
BIRTH CONTROL PILLS FOR BABIES

Babies fed soy-based formula have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen compounds in their blood than babies fed milk-based formula.

Infants exclusively fed soy formula receive the estrogenic equivalent of at least five birth control pills per day.

Male infants undergo a “testosterone surge” during the first few months of life, when testosterone levels may be as high as those of an adult male. During this period, baby boys are programmed to express male characteristics after puberty, not only in the development of their sexual organs and other masculine physical traits, but also in setting patterns in the brain characteristic of male behavior.

Pediatricians are noticing greater numbers of boys whose physical maturation is delayed, or does not occur at all, including lack of development of the sexual organs. Learning disabilities, especially in male children, have reached epidemic proportions.

Soy infant feeding—which floods the bloodstream with female hormones that inhibit testosterone—cannot be ignored as a possible cause for these tragic developments. In animals, soy feeding indicates that phytoestrogens in soy are powerful endocrine disrupters.

Almost 15 percent of white girls and 50 percent of African-American girls show signs of puberty such as breast development and pubic hair, before the age of eight. Some girls are showing sexual development before the age of three. Premature development of girls has been linked to the use of soy formula and exposure to environmental estrogens such as PCBs and DDE.

Last edited by funkymama; 03-30-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: eta
funkymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think she just gets busy with the babes? Otherwise, she gives him water in a sippy. For awhile, he just had one sippy she was using and she'd always have water. But, I've left a second so she has another sippy for the milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscella View Post
Just a quick question, why doesn't your sitter not give him his EBM some days. Its great that his good with his solids, but what is he getting to drink, if not your EBM? Juice, water? I would have him drink his EBM if he will drink it from a sippy. Its still the best.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So ... to the mamas who've dropped pumping at work and continue to nurse, do you notice any change in supply on those days when you're nursing all day? Or, does babe not seem to mind?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had days where I've been so busy that I've missed pumping at work. I haven't had a problem with feeling engorged or uncomfortable - maybe a little full. But, then again, I've only been pumping 2-3 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysvenson View Post
You know, you could try it and see what happens. You might find you're uncomfortable if you don't pump. You might find your supply is affected and it's harder to nurse all day on the days you're home. You might find that you have no problems. I think you could try it for a few days and see, and then go back to pumping if you want.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #16
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are older so it doesn't really seem to bother them much. I notice that I'm not as full but they will take all they can and seem to be happy with whatever they get...b**bie boys! : )
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
skueppers
Registered Users

Not pumping at work in the situation you describe may well cause a minor decrease in your supply. But if you're still nursing the rest of the time, it's unlikely to cause a decrease sufficient to harm your nursing relationship.

Remember that it's perfectly normal for your child's nursing frequency to decrease over time, so there's no reason to be alarmed as that happens. I've been with both of my kids 24 hours a day and nursed whenever they wanted. By 15 months, my daughter was nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours. My 14-month-old son usually nurses 4-5 times in 24 hours, but if we're out of the house, he often doesn't want to; yesterday he nursed at 7am, 7pm, and 1:30am.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #18
pernillep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad I found this.
I will be at 1 year in 2 weeks and the pumping is getting really old. I am down to once a day and get about 7oz. DS drinks about that much through out the day and nurse when I am home. I really want to stop pumping because it is a pain but now having read this I think I might keep it up for just a little longer. I am only doing it once and it is a heck of a lot easier than having to pump several times a day.

Off to pump....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #19
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I quit pumping at work when Arabella was about 18 months, and I never had any problems with my supply, so I think you'd be ok to quit at 1 if you're ready.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote