Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
How many diapers for a newborn?

I just recently found out that I am expecting a third baby at the end of May and I was just wondering, how many and what sizes should I get for a newborn? My babies tend to be about 8lbs or so, and both so far have grown quickly! I was thinking about using prefolds until the baby was in smalls, or how long would a baby be in newborns??? I never CDed Kyla until she was in mediums!! LOL!! HELP!!!

Advertisement

riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many diapers for a newborn?

I think KL0's would be a good option for you as they are 5-15 lbs. Baby should be able to wear them for a while. Every baby gains differently so it is a gamble. My ds was 7lbs at birth and at 6 wks was 11 lbs.
I know last time I didn't think I needed teeny tiny cds and really could have used them.
This time I am aiming for a stash between 24 (bare minimum) and 36 to use at birth. ( I have 21 klo's and 10 pockets along with 10 one size pockets.) Most of the pockets I have bought go to 10-11lbs.
I have already bought some smalls too... 16 of them. I plan to fund more smalls when I sell my nb's. I am also waiting to see if baby is a girl b/c I want to buy every shade of pink if it is.
HTH
Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
riandkymommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the idea....I never thought about KL0's....I usually only by WAHM stuff!! There is alot that I never thought of, lol!!

I know what you mean about a girl! My first was a boy and when Kyla came out, her room was Disney Princess and everything was pink and purple, and more pink that purple,
riandkymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

this is just my opinion lol.

my ds is now 7 weeks old and just last week grew out of smalls and into mediums lol. we were in nb's for 3 weeks at most.

so here is my opinion of the "perfect" stash:

2 dozen preemie prefolds (these are wonderful at birth, and once they've served thier nb purpose are the best most inexpensive doublers!)
12-16 fitteds
6-8 covers
3 dozen f/f wipes (7x7 and 8x8) the f/f/ is best first off b/c the others are too bulky to get into those little crevices HOWEVER
18 f/sh or f/vl in 8x8 and 8x4 for nb doublers...cheap doublers for nb's (plus they're great wipes later on) and the perfect size to fit into those itty bitty dipes (plus if using two 8x4 or 1 8x8 you get as many layers as in a more expensive doubler..plus the nice, soft cushy material!!!)

2 dozen infant size prefolds (these will be too bulky right off, but are great to have in that transitional phase and for if you decide to wait to buy smalls until you sell off your nbs)

small stash
12-16 fitteds
your infant prefolds (2doz) and preemie prefolds for doublers
3 dozen wipes
8-10 covers

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Bugaboo Bottoms
In a HUGE Pile of Wool!
seller

My Mood:

It's all a gamble. My babies are all over 8 lbs, so I chose to not use newborn and go right to size small with the new baby! HAHAHA, joke was on me because I had to be induced a month early and ended up with a perfectly healthy 5 pounder and desperately needing NB/Preemie size diapers. I ended up using sposies in the hospital (since I didn't have anything else) and then using my infant size CPF with covers for the first couple of weeks at home, and those swallowed him up. During that time I made some that fit him in size NB Small and they worked great. He is 4 months now and has been in size smalls for about 3 months.

I would say that I went through abuot 12 diapers a day during the newborn stage. That lasted the first month - 6 weeks. He now goes all night without a change (no more night-time poos) so that seriously cuts down on the number of diapers we use. I would say he uses about 7-8 a day now.

Anyway, I would say you need at least 2 dozen changes to cover 2 days, but I would suggest getting minimum 2.5 dozen changes.
Bugaboo Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote