Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Difficult decision, need input

Hi ladies,
I usually hang around the swap forums more,but have a dilemma I was hoping some of you might have input on.

My DS is 16 months and still BFs 3X/day. He really doesn't seem ready to drop any more feedings. But, I am on Lexapro (an antidepressant for my PPD) and I have been told that I cannot wean myself off of the drug completely until I wean DS. The reason is that the cessation of BF causes a hormonal upheaval in your body and will put me at risk of another bout of PPD/depression.

I really don't want to stop BF, but I really am ready to stop taking the meds. Ive thought and thought about it and I just can't seem to get myself to wean DS completely. But these meds have been in my system long enough and I don't want to take them any longer either. And I also feel badly that DS is getting some of the meds (and other junk I injest like Diet Coke!) - the amount of the meds in BM is supposedly very minimal, but it's still there.

I know there's no real answer here, but anyone have input or experience with this? thanks mamas!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Difficult decision, need input

Anyone?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is it Lexapro specifically that you have problems with, or any meds? I'm on Zoloft, but went off for several months with little problem. (Things started gettig pretty bad at home, so that's why I went back on it). I really don't have any advice, just
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
Ruthe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel really unqualified to give advice about this, but can you get a few more opinions about this before you decide what to do? What if you go off the lexapro now, and then go back on it for a month or so (however long it takes to kick in) when you decide to wean, and for as long afterward as necessary?

I hypothesize that if you wean gradually, at an appropriate time, there is less hormonal upheaval than if you were to wean suddenly and early. That would be an interesting study.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
chunkymonkey'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs Mama Though I completley understand how hard it must be on you, you have to do what is best for you mentally! If you can no longer feel comfortable on the medication then I would definitely start taking the necessary steps to come off of it! You need to be in top shape to take care of that little one and he is obviously your first priority! Make sure to get in LOTS and LOTS of cuddle time to ease the transition for the two of you!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 PM   #6
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
Is it Lexapro specifically that you have problems with, or any meds? I'm on Zoloft, but went off for several months with little problem. (Things started gettig pretty bad at home, so that's why I went back on it). I really don't have any advice, just
Yeah, I had thought about going off, and then going back on something when DS does wean (for example, if he decides not to wean until he's like 12! - ok, I believe in EBF but I won't let him BF that long!). But Lexapro wouldn't be an option for that -it's pretty strong. Maybe Zoloft - that one is much more mild and is recommended for breastfeeding. It took me about 6-8 weeks to actually get about 75% of the benefit of the Lexapro, and the weaning off of it takes about 3 months, so I'd definitely have to try something else for short-term.

After reading a few of your posts I'm thinking maybe I can go research 'second opinions' on a slow wean and the hormonal upheaval thing. Maybe there isn't much upheaval if it really is a slow process. Plus, if I could go off the meds and just keep BF him 3X a day...I could go on like that for a loonnggg time so at least during that time period there wouldn't be any hormone changes. And then maybe take something else like Zoloft for the actual wean. I dunno...I hate to second guess yet another doc (seems like I do that a lot these days) and there is so much anecdotal info out there about ppd, antidepressants, breastfeeding, etc.

thanks for the input so far, and i'd love to hear more ideas or experiences. This is just a really hard 'fence' for me to walk for some reason. I'm just really torn. (I know, in the whole scheme ofthings it's no big deal, but for some reason I'm having a hard time with it).

Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

I am a breastfeeding mom on antidepressants and i think you shoudl do one of 2 things. Either keep on the meds, and keep nursing. Or go off the meds for now and keep nursing, and when he cuts down to one feeding a day go back on them. I will tell you, when he stops nursing your hormones will go crazy. Good luck
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote