Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Blasted RLS....

Shoot shoot shoot! DD will be waking up at 6:30, and my legs are in full convulsive kick mode! Serves me right, though -- I haven't been watching my potassium intake the last few days, and I bet it's been really low.

(Stupidly, I just went in yesterday for another blood draw for potassium level, to see if I need a prescription supplement. You'd think that I would have(a)eaten well in prep for it and (b)thought about it today!)

Any other insomniacs reading DS right now that know how long it will take for the potassium to ... um.... kick in?

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Blasted RLS....

Potassium helps rls? Oh how I wish I had known this sooner. Hopefully you're getting some sleep by now. I'm off to eat a couple bananas in the hopes that it will help me sleep later. Thanks for the tip.
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Blasted RLS....

No guarantees, but I've noticed a definite change, yes! and my potassium levels were low when tested. Some of my siblings also say magnesium; I'm not as sure of that, but it's worth a try. (I take 500mg/day in a supplement, so don't see ups and downs there.)

High-potassium foods include jicama, cantaloupe, and chayote (400+mg/half cup). Bananas have 400+/banana, though less per half cup.

Good luck!