Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
_Kristine
Registered Users

Re: D&C Question...

My first miscarriage was natural at 7 weeks, with no warning. My second miscarriage was missed - the baby died around 8 weeks, it wasn't diagnosed until 12 weeks when we didn't hear a heartbeat at my first prenatal appointment, and an u/s showed the loss. I chose the D&C then. I wanted it to be over, and I had already been effectively waiting a month to miscarry and still felt completely pregnant, but it wasn't viable at all. I had the option to continue waiting, but I personally could not have gone to work every day and just waited for it to start.

I know both of my doctors would have allowed me to wait a week or two with another u/s check if that's what I needed to feel at peace with a decision of a D&C or wait to see if a natural miscarriage would happen.

Both are not without complications. Natural miscarriages can be incomplete and require a D&C anyway. Do what your gut tells you is the right decision for you. I'm so sorry.

Advertisement

_Kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you're going through this.
From my own experiences with D&C's, it was a very easy procedure, no complications (I've had 3 of them), easy recovery, and for me personally, I liked knowing that it was over when it was over instead of having to wait around wondering when it was going to happen and worrying about it happening.
With my 1st miscarriage, there was no heartbeat on the 8 wk u/s. I waited a week and then had the D&C. I, like you, am home alone all day long with my own kids, plus I have daycare kids, and the thought of miscarrying naturally with all of these kids to care for... well, it just wasn't for me. A pathology report later confirmed that there were genetic abnormalities in the fetus.
With my 2nd miscarriage, I didn't go for my 1st appt until 11 1/2 wks. I knew that I should be that far along, but by u/s, I was only measuring 8 wks and there was no heartbeat. Since it had already been 3 wks since the baby passed and my body hadn't naturally miscarried, I went ahead and had another D&C the following week, when I should have been 12 1/2 wks along. The pathology report ended up showing that it was a partial molar pregnancy and therefore I would have never actually miscarried it on my own, so I'm glad I didn't wait longer.
My 3rd D&C was for the molar pregnancy again, because the mole had started to grow back.
All of my D&C's were 'suction' D&C's, which I don't think involve scraping and have fewer complications than traditional D&C's. Also, if you do choose a D&C, ask for twilight anesthesia. I had twilight with my 1st two and general with my 3rd and recovery from my 3rd was a lot harder than the 1st two had been. I can sort of remember sounds from being in the operating room, but definitely nothing traumatic and it's like a very distant memory.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
PeanutButter'sMommy
T the Terrible Two
seller

I personally would wait before you opt for a D&C. I say this because: 1) I agree, it sounds like you would be feeling too many what-ifs should you go ahead with it right now, 2) if there is no baby, even if you start m/c on your own, I can tell you having just m/c basically a sac with a VERY little embryo that it was really not much worse than my worst period to date. I have been bleeding about a week now, and it is very heavy at times but it is manageable and I have only had to lay low at home one day when I passed the products of conception. I have gone about my life as normally as possible, and while I was ready to jump and have a D&C last week when I was told I would miscarry, I'm really glad I waited and that it happened naturally. It definitely gave me closure and I know that it was the right outcome for this pregnancy.

I don't know if that helps, but it being so early I wouldn't expect a natural m/c to be debilitating if that is your main fear. Many many many and I hope everything turns out to be nothing in the end.

ETA your hCG levels can be very telling as to whether you will m/c, i would assume they are monitoring those??
Robyn, Mommy to T , wife to Shawn TTC #2!!!

Last edited by PeanutButter'sMommy; 04-03-2008 at 11:08 AM.
PeanutButter'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My HCG levels were:

last Friday 141,000
this Monday 161,000

They have not asked me to do more draws since then. Not sure what will happen after the u/s tomorrow... I think it's good that they went up though, right?
Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #15
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I a so sorry that you are going through this. I would wait it out if that is where your heart is leading you.

I have had both a natural miscarriage and a D&C. I would prefer the natural miscarriage for me. I was 8 weeks along for my natural miscarriage. The major cramping and bleeding lasted about 4 hours, but then it slowed down to a heavy period like level.

I had a D&C after my second miscarriage. Like you my 8 week u/s showed a 7 week baby and no heartbeat. I went back a week later and the baby had not grown at all. I then waited 2 more weeks to see if my body would miscarry on its own. It did not, and this was right before we were flying out of town for Christmas, so I requested a D&C. My doctor would have been content to let me wait at least another couple of weeks before strongly suggesting a D&C. My D&C was done under general anesthesia and the procedure was not as bad as I anticipated. The whole experience was harder on me emotionally than my natural miscarriage though, which is why I would choose a natural miscarriage in the future. I hope this helps you!
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
PeanutButter'sMommy
T the Terrible Two
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyruth View Post
My HCG levels were:

last Friday 141,000
this Monday 161,000

They have not asked me to do more draws since then. Not sure what will happen after the u/s tomorrow... I think it's good that they went up though, right?
It is good that they went up, but it might have been that they should have gone up more than that, I don't know if at how far along you are they should still be doubling every few days etc. believe me I am no authority on this. I'm sure your u/s tomorrow should be informative though, and I am hoping it is good news.
Robyn, Mommy to T , wife to Shawn TTC #2!!!
PeanutButter'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
nattysmum07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
I had a similar experience with an ultrasound at 10 weeks 5 days.. showed no baby, by that point, i was spotting and knew we should see something.. i wanted to wait a few days on the D&C and i ended up m/c naturally at 11 weeks .. now, i don't know if i could have made the decision to have a D&C that fast.. but i sure wished i had.. my m/c was horrible .. it was like 6 hours of labor and bleeding so heavy that i just had to sit on the toilet .. i could not care for DD at all for 4 hours of that and i was completely wiped out from blood loss for 2 days after that.. i couldn't even walk ..

so. if you don't have the help, and you start to have spotting.. i'd recommend you go for the d&c, i was 'lucky' in that i spotted for 4-6 days before the m/c .. if you want to wait an extra week and have an extra u/s to make sure there is no growth/baby i don't see anything wrong or crazy about that at all .. i'm just saying all this because a natural m/c can REALLY be painful and traumatic and no one told me that when i was making my decisions..

I had a nat m/s at 8 1/2 weeks and I, too, was stuck on the toilet. Luckily my DH had just gotten home from work and then after all that bleeding I went in to the Dr's office a few hours later and they used forceps to pull the rest of the tissue out. It was all very painful.
The 2nd time was 9 1/2 weeks (there was no h/b and they triple checked it over the course of a few days and the last was a high tech u/s and still nothing). I had a d and c for that one & I never bled after the 1st day or had complications.
I do think you are still a tad early, so I would wait it out another week at least. GL to you and
Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #18
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any experience with a D&C, but do with a natural M/C. I was about 8-8.5 weeks along with my first child, when I felt heavy period-like cramping and then started bleeding like the first heavy day of a period. Surprising considering I thought I was pregnant and definitely didn't expect it, but not any worse than a heavy period. Called my then fiance' and went to the hospital. There they confirmed by U/S that there was no heartbeat and mostly just an empty sac and sent me home, where I continued to basically have a heavier than normal period for the next 2-3 days. I did conceive my DD on the very next ovulation and I've heard that it's harder to get pregnant after a D&C than after a natural M/C, assuming it was complete. There's also heightened fertility after a natural M/C which is something to consider if you'd like to get pregnant again soon. I would personally wait to see if your body will do what it should naturally, as that has to be better for your body than medical intervention unless it becomes necessary. Hugs to you and good vibes being sent your way that the U/S tech was just blind.

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
sarah26
Registered Users
seller

Location: Surviving Deployment #2... back home in the DFW area for the duration!
My Mood:

I've had 2 D&C's. The first was at 10 weeks and the baby did not have a heartbeat and then the second the baby was at 6weeks and it did have a heartbeat but very slow. We waited a week and by then it had stopped. I couldn't handle miscarrying on my own b/c it was just too devastating on my husband and I. If you feel they might have the dates wrong then wait but otherwise I strongly encourage you to do what your heart says. Everyone is different and some can handle natural miscarriages. Personally I couldn't because I just needed my nightmare to end immediately and waiting on my body to do it naturally just wasn't an option. I'm sorry you are having to experience this. I'll keep you in my prayers! On a side note my D&C's both went very well and I had zero problems afterwards. I had some light bleeding but nothing more than a period and just cramping the first day. The hardest thing for me was the emotional part. We don't have any children so to lose babies back to back was just very hard on us, but it's hard no matter what. ((HUGS))!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy3 View Post

With my 2nd miscarriage, I didn't go for my 1st appt until 11 1/2 wks. I knew that I should be that far along, but by u/s, I was only measuring 8 wks and there was no heartbeat. Since it had already been 3 wks since the baby passed and my body hadn't naturally miscarried, I went ahead and had another D&C the following week, when I should have been 12 1/2 wks along. The pathology report ended up showing that it was a partial molar pregnancy and therefore I would have never actually miscarried it on my own, so I'm glad I didn't wait longer.
My 3rd D&C was for the molar pregnancy again, because the mole had started to grow back.
I could have written this. I went in at 12 weeks and they couldn't find a HB and baby measured 9 weeks. (We knew the dates weren't off because the baby had measured fine with a HB around 7 weeks.) Because, I was farther along (I did have a natural m/c at 7 weeks for my first pg and that was 15 min on the toilet and then just a super heavy period. It hurt, but nothing too horrible to bear.) and it was so obvious the baby had passed and my body was still holding onto him/her, we chose the suction D&C. I ended up having another one later due to it being a partial molar pg and the tissue growing back. After the first D&C, I woke up and told DH I wished I could have my period like that. I mean, I went to sleep and woke up and it was all over and I felt great from the pain meds.

I do think that since you are this early and feeling this torn about it, waiting a week or two before committing to a D&C would be best. If you do m/c naturally, you will be able to handle it fine. God never gives us more than we can handle.