Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #31
mango
Registered Users
seller

Re: If one more person tells me "breastmilk isnt enough"...

This is just so normal. The advice that people were given 50 years ago was really odd; my grandma thinks you shouldn't gain more than 10 lbs when pregnant, and that episiotomies are great, and so on. So I can't really fault her -- this is what she was told. She brags about having fed her kids on sweetened condensed milk (!!!...which makes formula look like health food!) ; and she kept asking me if I gave my son a bottle "to see if he'd take it." I just said "no," and looked at her funny, and ignored her. She also told me how when she was a kid, people used to put sugar in a rag and let the baby suck on it to keep them quiet (this was a suggestion). I told her I wasn't interested.

It's sort of difficult but you have to tell such people that you're not interested in their advice a few times (in a nice way if possible) and learn to ignore them when they give their advice. Be confident and keep doing what you're doing.

Advertisement

mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #32
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: If one more person tells me "breastmilk isnt enough"...

Oh man, I went through that so much. When DD was about 3 months old, the second she'd cry there was always a "yeah, you tell that mommy you need some real food" or "I know baby, I know you're hungry, that boobie just isnt enough for you" I heard that CONSTANTLY and the older she got, the worse it got. And then of course, when I did start solids at 6 months old there was a bunch of "I was feeding you table foods by this age already" etc etc etc UGH! My mom actually blamed my daughter's colic on a need for cereal even tho the colic started LONG before the normal cereal age.

I'm just glad I've finally learned to ignore all the unwanted advice, because it really can drive a person mad!
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote