Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Low Fat Diet?

How much fat can you have and have it still considered a low fat diet?

i am having gall bladder problems and i was told to go on a low fat diet until i can get into have surgery. So what is too much fat?
so far i am not eating anything that is more than 4 grams. but mainly sticking to 2 grams or less

Advertisement

serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
angeleyes
Banned

Re: Low Fat Diet?

I am on the same diet. I am pregnant though so I cant eat as much. My Dr. told me no more then 30g a day, but 30g bothers me too. Your body needs at least 20g a day to process all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. Eat LOTS of veggies and fruit and check labels. Its amazing how much fat is in stuff. Once slice of bread has 1g.. Also DONT eat all your fat at once. I eat 4 grams at each meal and snack for a total of 20. Alos watch coffe and milk. I drink only skim. I hope that helps.
angeleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
I am on the same diet. I am pregnant though so I cant eat as much. My Dr. told me no more then 30g a day, but 30g bothers me too. Your body needs at least 20g a day to process all the nutrients you need to stay healthy. Eat LOTS of veggies and fruit and check labels. Its amazing how much fat is in stuff. Once slice of bread has 1g.. Also DONT eat all your fat at once. I eat 4 grams at each meal and snack for a total of 20. Alos watch coffe and milk. I drink only skim. I hope that helps.

now that i have been watching the labels, i couldnt believe the fat content in some of the food we had that we ate often. Like peanut butter- i had no idea that was so fattening. sad that i had to cut that out of my diet.
i too drink skim milk.
fruit, yogurt, oatmeal and soup are the main things i eat. each of those are 2.5 grams and under. and for a snack i usually have a rice cake, or a couple graham crackers
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

For gallstone attack prevention your best bet is to consume no more than 10g a day. Any meats you eat should be very lean, less than 10% fat. If you eat ground beef, after it is cooked rinse it under hot water to get rid of the fat sitting on the meat.

Avoid oranges and other citrious foods. Most veggies are fine, but alot of fruits aren't. No dairy, spices, tomatoes. Nothing spicy, citric or fatty. These all induce attacks.

No more than 30G per day is the normal non-pg amount a person should have.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
For gallstone attack prevention your best bet is to consume no more than 10g a day. Any meats you eat should be very lean, less than 10% fat. If you eat ground beef, after it is cooked rinse it under hot water to get rid of the fat sitting on the meat.

Avoid oranges and other citrious foods. Most veggies are fine, but alot of fruits aren't. No dairy, spices, tomatoes. Nothing spicy, citric or fatty. These all induce attacks.

No more than 30G per day is the normal non-pg amount a person should have.
10g a day. wow i didnt think it was that low.
Do you have any suggestions on what to eat and actually get full. That is my biggest problem is im not getting full or even satisfied, so im wanting to snack, whether it be crackers, yogurt etc
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know I didn't eat alot when I had my gallstones. One of my worst attacks(when 27weeks pg on top of it) was after I had crackers. I made dh run red lights to the hospital(it was 11pm there were no cars coming) while I was kicking the dash of the truck because it hurt so bad. If I would have had another one like that when pg they would have done surgery before she was born. The last big one I had was when my dd was 7days old(tg my mom was here), 1 bite of cheese caused it. I had a fear of eating because it was very hit and miss on what would cause it. My stomach never felt right and always had a hint of pain until I had it out. I was on liquid zantac, 750mg a day but there were many days I had double that. At the first sign of an attack I'd take my zantac and it helped the majority of them go away without the full attack, I just felt awful.