Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #11
glorybee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you make up a birth plan?

Quote:
Yes, it was meant for the hospital, which is why I don't want to show how I would change it for hospital use without her permission. I don't want to be rude. It's just a lot longer than what I would recommend to my own clients. If ClothDiaperMePlease doesn't want me to interfere, then you can feel free to PM me with yours when it's done and I can comment on it (actually you can do this regardless).
I didn't mean to use hers or hijack this thread. I just thought it could be useful for everyone if we could see a sample of how you think it should be written for the hospital. Just covering about three random things would help a bunch.

But, it is no big deal either way. (:

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post

Keegans_mommy, if you would like to share what you've written I can specifically comment. I would be happy to show you how I would whittle yours to bring as your hospital birth plan.

Ok! I am up for a "whittling" I will have to go get it for you
Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Crap! I have misplaced it on the hard drive but will find it.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #14
njbeachgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did for my dd since she was born in a hospital. I had a midwife who was respectful of my wishes, but I don't think anyone in the hospital (nurses etc.) bothered to read it.

I had to reiterate that no, I do not want the baby circd, no IV, no heplock, no bath for the baby, no hep b vax, goop, etc. While I was in labor. even though there was a nice printed document stating all that in my chart.

This time I am having a homebirth and I feel I don't need one. There are a couple of little things like that I or DH want to announce the sex of the baby, I would like to catch if i'm in a good position etc. but nothing I need to write a real plan for.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I need to do one this time. I tried to communicate one to my ObGyn last time and I think instead of writing it down, she was scribbling down her own grocery list. Needless to say, everything was ignored. I don't even want to stay in the hospital more than a few hours --luckily I'm seeing a midwife this time so I really hope things are different.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #16
babyholic
Registered Users

I had one prepared for my hospital birth, my OB approved it and the first 4 hours of my labor in hospital went exactly as I wanted. The lights were low, I was on hands/knees with hubby performing counterpressure on my back labor, and I had the ultimate freedom and privacy. My doc was called away right before I started pushing, and his replacement never bothered to read the birthplan. The nurses changed shifts and the new one didn't read either, and I ended up pushing on my back, and having a tear which the doc nicely added an extra stitch to "for the husband."

This is a big part of why I went to unassisted home birth. I know everything is done the way I would want it, and only true complications interfere with my birth, not fear of litigation or golf tournaments or simple convenience to the doctor. I still was able to handle my own "complication," though.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

I want a HB so bad I am so stressed about going to the hospital and I do very nicely at home until I get uprooted to get to the hospital, then the real pain starts and I start to panic. Even walking into the newly built birthing center within our hospital made me all butterflies inside It scares me and will undo all I have done to relax, I just hate it and I wish DH would see that!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #18
sunnymw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In case of hospital transfer, there will be a list on the door of medical procedures that I do not consent to... another list next to me of what I do not consent to for mother... and a list above the warming table of what I will not consent to for baby (vit k, eye goop, circ, etc) and another one for his plastic thing, in case he has to get in it at any point.

In my blog below, toward the top I believe somewhere, is a post about my old birth plan, and what the hospital honored and didn't piece by piece. Come to find out, even though I was disappointed in my experience, I was lucky to even HAVE a vaginal birth in this hospital, their cut-rate is shocking. I'm surprised the OB knew what a vagina actually WAS.