Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Home from surgery

JUST walked in. It went fine I guess. The last 20 min before surg he was SO hungry and SO pissed that I wouldn't nurse him he just sobbed It was so sad. Then I had to dress in scrubs/mask to take him back to the O.R. and he HATED it. He totally freaked and was ripping at the cap/mask/gown. He was hysterical. You could tell he thought I'd betrayed him, become "one of them" Honestly? It would have been better if I had just handed him over. Then the surgery took longer than anticipated, no idea why but thats hard on a mommy. Then recovery (waiting to be extubated) took FOREVER. He was actually still asleep an hour after surg when they let us see him but he was finally breathing on his own. They had to cut his neck too, which I just wasn't expecting somehow, but thats where they thread the tube in the jugular and down into the heart. So his neck and chest are bandaged. The port in his chest is a bigger lump than I anticipated too. Its bloody and gross of course Because of swelling etc we have to wait an extra week to start IVIG. He's in pain, poor scrap. They also scratched his vocal cords intubating. Hopefully his voice will heal up in the next week but right now he can only make a hoarse barky-croak

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home from surgery

i am glad it went OK.
I hopehe feels better soon

Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw, poor kid... surgery is hard....

Hope he feels better soon.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

That broke my heart. Poor poor baby....and mama.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
Lyric
Registered Users
seller

That is so hard when your baby has to go through something like this. for a fast recovery.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Oh mama, I can't imagine having to go through that. You are a strong mama.

Praying he heals quickly with no other ordeals coming up.

Hugs and prayers!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Glad everything went ok.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
clothdiapermom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Glad to hear your little man is back in your arms safely. Surgery is so hard on mama and baby. He might be in pain now but think of it as saving him from future pain since you said they won't have to stick him and can use this now. Hopefully it will save you from lots of future crying by avoiding the extra sticks he would have had for every blood draw etc. Go snuggle up with your little one mama. Glad he is doing ok.
Meg, Mom to DD#1 6/04 DD#2 4/07
(all of my items come from a non smoking, pet friendly home)
clothdiapermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i'm sorry mama, I'm surprised they allowed you to go into the surgery with him, we werent allowed to go in wth danae and she just screamed as they walked off with her, it broke my heart!
the insicion on the neck, that will heal quickly, don't leave the gauze on too many days because it can starts to grow bacteria and get infected.
danaes incision is hardly noticable now, they cut along the crease, and the others are right this medi will prevent him form the pain form the draws, and right now he is in pain but will heal really quickly and you won't need to mess with it for cleaning or anything. i understand how you feel about the nursing and nto being able too , i did this with danae they oput her on NPO 2 times and with the stress it caused my milk to dry up, so any chances you get please bf your little man. whenever you feel he needs it, give him tylenol. give lotsof hugs to him from me and lots of hugs for you too, its really hard being the parent and seeing your child go through something so intense, but know the dr's will take care of you all and in the end of this , hewill be just fine and so will you
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote