Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
mama2bay1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Changes in poo (kinda long)

ok my DD is 10 months old, she really isnt into the food thing yet, we exclusive BF up to about three weeks ago when we started a little solids not much, a babyspoon of cereal here and there maybe a little mashed banana, a taste of gerber pears, peaches, green beans, not much at all, a few of those puffs(finger foods), so to break it down for the past few weeks she eat maybe a table spoon of food every other day if that, and one or two puffs a day

and about a week after we started solids her bowels changed as in not going, then a week past and she went a little mushy ball (TMI) about the size of a dime and she did that pattern for the next three days, then nothing, then maybe another week past and she pooped a small pea sized ball then nothing, so I have taken her off solids completely for three days now and finally she went but again a mushy semi formed poop about the size of an egg.

she isnt fussy her belly isnt hard,I dont know what is going on she would normally have explosion once a week maybe twice and they were all liquidy and seedy normal for not a dime and egg sized poop, what gives, she hasnt even had any solids for three days, not that she ever eat much anyway.

We just moved to a new state and i have been giving her bottles of water from the tap, not that she really drinks any, she doesnt know how to drink from a bottle, could the water be doing this, i mean the few drops she gets here and there. I am very upset, I dont have a new ped yet and not sure what i should do, because she seems ok other then her bm's being solid and few.

Please give me some advice on what you think is going on. I am really stressing here....
thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by mama2bay1; 04-11-2008 at 08:13 PM.
mama2bay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
pbjmama
Registered Users

Re: Changes in poo (kinda long)

It sounds pretty normal to me. As her digestive system prepares/changes to take in solids her bms will change in consistency and pattern. As long as she is not uncomfortable and the bm isn't hard, it should not be a problem. It could have to do with changes in environment/stress also.
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's old enough now where you don't need to do purees or mashed foods with her, she can self feed different kinds of finger foods. Here's a good link: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...rst-foods.html

Its pretty normal for their poop to change once they start solids, they don't digest it straight away how adults do. If she appears to have dry/hard poops try to stay away from foods that may be constipating, such as processed foods. Bananas can also be constipating. Fresh veggies and fruits are best because they have a lot of fiber. Also try giving a probiotic, you can break open the capsules and put a little on your finger for her. This should help her stay more regular. She really doesn't need water if she's still breastfeeding regularly, but if you must give it to her, use a trainer/sippy cup. That should be easier.

Also, baby cereal can be very constipating because of the iron content. Its hard for babies to digest, and really lacking in an absorbable nutrients.

Last edited by KatieJD334; 04-11-2008 at 09:11 PM.
KatieJD334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:50 AM   #4
mama2bay1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I think I found the answer, I stopped solids althogether for about 4 days nothing but breastmilk and viola, she pooped her normal amount and consistancy of poo, so it must have been the solids, I think we will wait on them for another few weeks or so.
thanks
mama2bay1 is offline   Reply With Quote