Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #41
~Heather~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why was my reply deleted in a thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
Well, since we're heading in a different direction with this discussion now, I have a couple things to add.

I come to DS to talk about diapers and other things in life too. But here on DS I can find other people who are interested in cloth diapers. I don't think that wahms should feel like they can't talk about the stuff they make with other DS members on general threads. I know that sometimes there is a fine line between spam & just regular chat and that it's easier to just draw a clear line instead of trying to determine whether things are spam on a case by case basis. But I don't think we should have super strict rules about "spam" that end up restricting wahms from discussing their products with others on the regular threads instead of just in pms.

Diapers are interesting. Well, at least to us (the general DS population), and I don't want to feel like we have to walk on egg shells and feel like we're doing something wrong by just talking about diapers with a wahm on a public thread. I mean, isn't that what we all come here for?

And I really hope there's nothing wrong with people doing raves and posting love for their favorite wahms. I have my favorites and I give them a shout out every chance I get. I don't think of this as spam, I think of it as sharing information about great diapers with other DS mamas. Again, this is a big part of what I come to DS for and it keeps me coming back to DS.
I so agree with you 100%

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #42
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazdodge View Post
I know that sometimes there is a fine line between spam & just regular chat and that it's easier to just draw a clear line instead of trying to determine whether things are spam on a case by case basis. But I don't think we should have super strict rules about "spam" that end up restricting wahms from discussing their products with others on the regular threads instead of just in pms.

And I really hope there's nothing wrong with people doing raves and posting love for their favorite wahms. I have my favorites and I give them a shout out every chance I get. I don't think of this as spam, I think of it as sharing information about great diapers with other DS mamas. Again, this is a big part of what I come to DS for and it keeps me coming back to DS.
First paragraph... definitely. I mean, even in Craft Chat, WAHMs are allowed to post their creations, even yet-to-be-sold creations... just so long as the when/how/why/where of the selling part is kept on the downlow.

Second paragraph... spam is self-promotion, so any random user is completely welcome to post raves about their favorite WAHM, since the random user is a third-party and doesn't benefit financially from posting about the WAHM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Heather~ View Post
A: Ooo I love that set you are going to be stocking, if I wasn't on the wagon and it was a 12 months
B. I am going to be making some 12 months too.
C. Ooo I love that and can't wait, I need a 12 month too. I'm stalking that stocking.

Helpful post to anyone else who was wanting a 12 month from the WAHM in her stocking. No transaction, only information.
That particular post really is borderline spammy. "A" was just casually talking about the stocking, not really actively asking the WAHM if she'd have a 12-months or saying she was ISO a 12-months (she said that she's on the wagon even). Like see the difference between the above and this one:

Random Poster: That set is so pretty, but it's too big for DD. Do you have plans for a 12-month size?
WAHM: Yes, PM me for more info.
Random Poster II: OOooh I want a 12-month size, too... I'm PMing you too.

That's not spam.

Random Poster: Look at this set that I got from GoogleZazz! I really love how those ruffles are tiered like that.
GoogleZazzWAHM: Thanks. I made a few of these sets for DD and am glad that others are liking them too.

That's not spam either.

Random Poster: That set is so pretty, but it's too big for DD. Do you have plans for a 12-month size?
WAHM: Yes, in that fabric and then in this other fabric too. And I'm also going to do an 18-month size on April 29, then in May I'll have lots of boy stuff coming out.

That's an obvious example, but you can see that it's spam.

WAHMs may answer direct questions asked of them on the thread. That's not spam. It becomes spam if they give a bunch of extra information, or even IMO if they respond to a comment w/ info about their stocking/sales/etc rather than respond to a question.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #43
~Heather~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
First paragraph... definitely. I mean, even in Craft Chat, WAHMs are allowed to post their creations, even yet-to-be-sold creations... just so long as the when/how/why/where of the selling part is kept on the downlow.

Second paragraph... spam is self-promotion, so any random user is completely welcome to post raves about their favorite WAHM, since the random user is a third-party and doesn't benefit financially from posting about the WAHM.

That particular post really is borderline spammy. "A" was just casually talking about the stocking, not really actively asking the WAHM if she'd have a 12-months or saying she was ISO a 12-months (she said that she's on the wagon even). Like see the difference between the above and this one:

WAHM: Yes, PM me for more info.
Random Poster II: OOooh I want a 12-month size, too... I'm PMing you too.

That's not spam.

Random Poster: Look at this set that I got from GoogleZazz! I really love how those ruffles are tiered like that.
GoogleZazzWAHM: Thanks. I made a few of these sets for DD and am glad that others are liking them too.

That's not spam either.

WAHM: Yes, in that fabric and then in this other fabric too. And I'm also going to do an 18-month size on April 29, then in May I'll have lots of boy stuff coming out.

WAHMs may answer direct questions asked of them on the thread. That's not spam. It becomes spam if they give a bunch of extra information, or even IMO if they respond to a comment w/ info about their stocking/sales/etc rather than respond to a question.

I agree.
However, said post didn't mention a date or anything, just that she was planning on making them. So essentially, she did not spam, did she?

SideNote: I think this spam rule on DS is way too harsh. How is this helping WAHM's at all. Isn't this site supportive of it's WAHM's, too. Tell me if I'm reading this wrong, but here's how I interpret the no spam(self-promotion) rule. This is DIAPERSWAPPERS, must keep all business on DiaperSwappers. to have members leave to go purchase diapers elsewhere, especially if you didn't buy ad space on diaperswappers is frowned upon because essentially, business(i.e. $$) is leaving DS and going elsewhere, even though both of these are great members and continue to do their business on DS as well.

Last edited by ~Heather~; 04-13-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #44
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post

I do see where it could be a problem if abused. What doesn't sit well with me though is that is seems like the wahm has to be so incredibly careful about what she can & can't talk about for fear of it being too close to the spam line. For instance in a thread that was started by a random user about her love for a certain wahm's products, wouldn't that be an OK place to discuss what where when why & how (in general, not necessarily as part of a specific purchase transaction)? It seems like a wahm could only answer questions if a question is posed and phrased just a certain way. How many times do we see typos, incorrect grammar, and just poor writing skills on DS? It doesn't seem feasible to think that people will know exactly what questions they can ask to get the information or to facilitate discussion without a list of what questions a wahm is allowed to answer with specifics & discuss.

Also, I'll use the gms as an example. There have been some late night chat threads that Suzanne took part in. There was discussion back & forth about gm diapers. People made suggestions, S chatted back with random users about what was going on, what they liked & didn't like about the dipes, what was in store for the future, just general chat stuff revolving around this particular diaper. Did I think it was spam? Absolutely not! I thought it was a wahm getting a better feel for what people want & being open to 2 way communication. IMO that is one of the biggest things that makes a doing business with a wahm soooooooooo much better than a large company. That personal touch & ability to communicate with the general population of customers that just isn't possible with large companies.

Now one would think, well maybe this kind of thing should be going on in a specific blog or chat room if there are a lot of people wanting to talk about certain diapers & share comments/info/chatting with other random people & a wahm about that wahm's products. That has occurred to me, but it doesn't seem feasible again (hey, I'm actually remembering big words again, I am reclaiming my brain from 4 yo/lizard/dinosaur/baby-land). I don't think that it would work to have separate places to go that are only dedicated to chat about that wahm, for instance Fussybutt, GM, Ahmay, Baby Bear, Mutt Baby, etc. That would be nice, but we want to talk about all different kinds of things including wahms like above. So enter DS, right?

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
Old 04-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #45
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I agree.

Tell me if I'm reading this wrong, but here's how I interpret the no spam(self-promotion) rule. This is DIAPERSWAPPERS, must keep all business on DiaperSwappers. to have members leave to go purchase diapers elsewhere, especially if you didn't buy ad space on diaperswappers is frowned upon because essentially, business(i.e. $$) is leaving DS and going elsewhere, even though both of these are great members and continue to do their business on DS as well.
Not quite sure what you're saying here.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #46
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbellishments View Post
I'm still confused. I'm sorry if anyone is upset that I am confused, and it DOES NOT mean that I think the mods/admins are doing a bad job, seriously I appreciate all the hard work here, THAT SAID, I think that if a mama makes a rave post about a wahms product and it says, darn it, not my kiddos size, I hope you make one in my kiddos size. And the Wahm replies, Well I will be making that size mama, get ready to fall of the wagon. I don't think that is spam, that is ASKING for the info. It was NOT a transaction it was a general question. Why should other wahms be allowed to reply to threads like that. And gosh there are 5+ page long threads on WAITING for stockings for certain wahms, then even the wahm gets on and sometimes SAYS WHEN and WHAT she is stocking.

I just want to be clear on the rules, that is all. I think the line is blurred and mods/admin are not really on the same page with this. And again, this is NOT a mod/admin bash, I just TRULY am confused as to what I did wrong. That is all.
I concur! The mods are doing a great job, but the rules on spam are just confusing.... maybe the rules should say "no talking about your products at all unless it's in the WAHM forum or via PM" that would be clear and then all the WAHM wouldn't be afraid to post in regular forums anymore. Honestly, I'm afraid to post these days.......

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 AM   #47
cadensmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

SideNote: I think this spam rule on DS is way too harsh. How is this helping WAHM's at all. Isn't this site supportive of it's WAHM's, too.
sorry Nak

i don't think your interpreting the rule right at all. the spam rule really isn't THAT harsh. its is far harsher on HC in fact. You can't even post in theri craft showcase if you plan on selling the item in the future. IT has to go in their marketplace where peopel announce grand openings and such.

The forums here dont make ANY money from FSOT. they don't charge listing fees and such. They only make money through advertising and i've never heard them have any problems with HC at all.

At this point, I feel like some of these posts are just stirring the pot.

Evrim and Ellowyn -- Just Released!

iKnit, iSpin, iDye all at ... Comfort Wool Blog and
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #48
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadensmama View Post

At this point, I feel like some of these posts are just stirring the pot.
I think the pot needs to be stirred until the spam rules are VERY CLEARLY defined.

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #49
cowmommy
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

ETA response to post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyScott View Post
I think the pot needs to be stirred until the spam rules are VERY CLEARLY defined.
The rules are VERY CLEARLY defined

I am locking this thread. The rules state that if you have problems with something that a mod does to pm admin. That means you would need to wait for that admin to respond, longer than 20 minutes before posting on the board. If that admin doesn't respond within 12-24 hours pm another one, we have several now.

Last edited by cowmommy; 04-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Closed Thread