Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freaked about second hand pump

Just curious as to who sponsored the article? Any indication? What abt rentals? Lots of people rent pumps...
FWIW, I've used a used electric pump in the past and never had an issue. Just replace the tubing and sterilize the parts.

Advertisement

Last edited by kecmom; 04-13-2008 at 04:24 PM.
kecmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
kecmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
I wanted to buy his cousin's PIS off her and she wouldn't sell it b/c it said not to so she is just going to throw it away Oh, she only used it about 10 times...
I'd be waiting at her curb on trash day if I were you!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecmom View Post
I'd be waiting at her curb on trash day if I were you!
no kidding let me know where she lives and her trash day LOL!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
pbjmama
Registered Users

I'm surprised that there are so many who don't worry about used pumps. I can understand that they are expensive and buying used/cheaper is appealing. If you are not the original owner there is no warranty on a pump. And I'm pretty sure it is technically illegal to sell a used pump. To be fair, as I said before, I haven't seen any cases of problems that can be directly linked to a breast pump. I'm going to link some articles but just so you know, pumps can be contaminated even if you can't see it and replace/sterilize all the parts. I'm curious if those of you have have used PIS have replaced/cleaned the internal membranes when you got new tubing, etc?

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/breastpumps/choosing.html#4

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,9kdb,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by kecmom View Post
Just curious as to who sponsored the article? Any indication? What abt rentals? Lots of people rent pumps...
FWIW, I've used a used electric pump in the past and never had an issue. Just replace the tubing and sterilize the parts.
Pumps that you can rent are hospital grade and are closed systems. The FDA approves what pumps can be rented, all other pumps are meant to be single user devices.
pbjmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a problem with milk going into the tubing once when I was reading and their was an extra valve thingy (that's a technical term) bocking the other thingy that lets milk drop into the bottle. THat being said, there was a distinct sound difference and even had I not noticed it would have take about 25 min to make it into the machine at the rate it was going. Knowing how mine works now, I would have bought one used. I did in fact buy one used from a friend (before it broke and I bought a new one) and just replaced the tubing. I'd rather buy from a friend, but barring that, I would just replace the tubing.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The only pump I'd be willing to use second hand would be a ameda purely yours, and this is because there's absolutely no way the milk can get into the tubing to get into the motor.
With that said, I don't know anything really about the other brands.. I did rent a hospital pump for about 3 weeks before I got my own pump, and I did have my own tubing.. but I was really scared so whatever I pumped, I dumped.. it wasn't much to begin with though as I was nearly dried up from being hospitalized with pneumonia.. I would nurse him first, then pump trying to stimulate more milk to be produced basically.. so very little was actually dumped.. I probably didn't 'have' to dump.. but knowing hiv can be contracted through breastmilk really freaks me out.. It's really your call on this and depends on the brand if it's possible milk can get in the motor etc..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote