Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy WHY?!

Do we KEEP getting thrush?! I don't understand! I THINK its b/c I've been eating alot of sugars and yeast-heavy breads lately....sigh. Just needed to vent and maybe an answer.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WHY?!

Sorr you're having such a tough time! D oyou wear a clean bra every day? Do you use a clean towel after every shower? I did this when bfing all of my babies and - knock wood - no thrush yet!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama- some are just prone to candida. Have you tried a candida cleanse? Also, I would suggest (if you haven't already started) to take probiotics and GSE and eat PLAIN yogurt sweetened w/ UNREFINED sweeteners or unsweetened applesauce.

Also, yeast (as in bread) doesn't cause yeast. It's the refined sugars and flours (white sugar & white flour)that can cause yeast.

If you can't stay away from sweets, stick w/ unrefined sweetners like honey, rapidura or sucanat, molasses, or fruit.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cut back on sugars and take acidophilus or eat yogurt on a regular basis. Are you taking an antibiotic? If so, eat yogurt 2x a day. That is what I do. Also, if you can, go braless as much as possible till you stop getting it. My boobies don’t leak so I can do that.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh mama i'm right there with you! I had it for 6 months with dd1 and got it 2 weeks ago with dd2. it really sucks!! if you find a miracle cure/prevention, clue me in!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imamama3 View Post
Sorr you're having such a tough time! D oyou wear a clean bra every day? Do you use a clean towel after every shower? I did this when bfing all of my babies and - knock wood - no thrush yet!
No I only have 2 bra's that fit me And I don't have time to wash towels everyday but I'll work on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
Hey mama- some are just prone to candida. Have you tried a candida cleanse? Also, I would suggest (if you haven't already started) to take probiotics and GSE and eat PLAIN yogurt sweetened w/ UNREFINED sweeteners or unsweetened applesauce.

Also, yeast (as in bread) doesn't cause yeast. It's the refined sugars and flours (white sugar & white flour)that can cause yeast.

If you can't stay away from sweets, stick w/ unrefined sweetners like honey, rapidura or sucanat, molasses, or fruit.
Thanx momma! I'm going to get some probiotics asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybabya View Post
Cut back on sugars and take acidophilus or eat yogurt on a regular basis. Are you taking an antibiotic? If so, eat yogurt 2x a day. That is what I do. Also, if you can, go braless as much as possible till you stop getting it. My boobies don’t leak so I can do that.
mine just started leaking again but ill do the braless thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
oh mama i'm right there with you! I had it for 6 months with dd1 and got it 2 weeks ago with dd2. it really sucks!! if you find a miracle cure/prevention, clue me in!
im sorry momma, that really sucks! i hope yours gets better soon
Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
krickison
Registered Users
seller

When you wash your bra and towels make sure you are washing in HOT you could boil your bra. You wont kill the yeast if you wash in less than hot water. Also since you havent got the time to wash your bra daily try using pads so that you arent touching the bra. If you use disposibles then you can toss them after each feed. Use a new towel each time you shower/bath I know it makes a lot of laundry but it would be worth it to get rid of the thrush. HTH
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
ashleykaymay
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i saw some raw silk and bamboo fleece nursing pads...it says they are supposed to help with mamas who can't beat infections like these...i am not sure since i never used them but maybe they will help! they are on homemade mama's hyena cart.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

You need to use Gentian Violet mama. You can buy it at some drug stores although I had to visit about 10 different ones before I found. Call around. It is very messy to use but it does work. It works WONDERS!!!

Also you can add Tea Tree Oil to the water when you're washing your bras/nursing pads as it is in antifungal.

threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
Quiteria
Registered Users

The only thing that has worked for us is hitting it hard all at once--
no sugar or wheat (or at least as minimal as possible...for example, I ate lots of oatmeal, which is usually out for someone with a gluten allergy, but close enough to gluten-free for thrush)
lots of probiotics
something topical (gentian violet or monostat...nystatin is a joke)
diflucan for 2 wks...mom and all nurselings (even if someone is asymptomatic, treat everyone together for the same duration!)
and yes, a clean towel and bra...I bought a pack of men's white Hanes t-shirts/undershirts that I could wash with the towels, and just wore those braless at home

grapefruit seed extract is another option orally. Oh...disinfect your own toothbrush while you're at it.

also, try kellymom.com...there's good info there
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote